Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking to build a fairly light steel bike,any idea on who makes a decent bike?also doesnt necesaarily need to be a new frame.i have a RockyMountain Blizzard right now but was told that its close to 5 lbs.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
The Soma Groove is 4.25lbs. for a 17". Much lighter than that and I would worry about too much flex and or thin weak tubes.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
IndyFab.

You can get most custom SS frames at around 4lbs. Of course this is dependent of your weight. This seems to be a happy medium for steel frames.

·
Registered
221 Posts
My Baum Espresso is 1750gms for a custom 19.5" frame. They've changed the model name now so it's the Cordata on their website.

www.baumcycles.com

C

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I have a Blizzard too. Why do you want another steel bike? Have you tried scandium?

Or - Just put lighter parts on the Blizzard frame you already have.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,914 Posts
Scandium isn't the be-all/end-all it was initially billed as. It depends on what alloy its added to.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That dark blue Engin bike looks great!!

i dont know i may just stick with the Blizzard.This is kind of a budget build anyway but it just seems heavy to begin with.

·
Registered
226 Posts

I found this one on ebay. I sold some of the parts that came with it so I have about $75 in the frame. It weighs in a 1759g, not true WW but I think it is acceptable. It rides like a dream compared to the cheap Al. frame it replaced. I built it up with an older SID and XTR952 parts off of eBay, Craig list and local MTB pages. All the cable, tires, chain, fork oil, fork seals and bearings on the bike are new. So even though they are older parts it all functions great. Stuff is a little out dated but still works great. Total weight is right around 10.12 kg. That is not really true WW but not to bad considering the total build cost I was around $850ish.

I could go lighter with a few parts but it just works great for my needs as is.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Here's my Waltworks 26 HT. It weight 3.98 pounds with CK cups top and bottom installed. It's approx. size medium. Rides like a dream...

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts