Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been looking for a lightweight square taper BB to replace my UN52. I found this one http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30&action=details&sku=CR9489
which is not bad and I need at least 117mm. I'm confused though about what they mean by EURO? Is that the threading or what. My bb is english threaded and I'm not sure if that will fit.
Also if you know of any other BB's please share.

·
Lightweight Ghost Rider
191 Posts
Phil Wood is nice, but pricey. :eek:

His square taper BB's are legendary and the range goes all the way up to 123mm in Ti spindles.

Check out the website at http://www.philwood.com

Remember that on top of the quoted price for the BB you'll need cups and also Phil's special tool.

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
I think the 'Euro' comment is in reference to BMX cranks. How that applies to mountain bikes, that I can't answer.

If I was going to look for a new Square taper BB today, I'd scour for UN-72's, Interloc, Race Face Taperloc's, SKF. None of which are in the extra lightweight category, but all are in the reasonable low 200g's category. (Doubly so when I'm also in the low 200's category.)

Good luck.

JmZ

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
UN73 has a plastic cup on one end. Thats all I've noticed.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,913 Posts
Euro means its a european size BB... as in english, french or italian... they all used the same BB shell diameters... only the thread pitch, direction and shell width varied. Traditionally it'll be english unless its an older road bike frame (like from the 70s or earlier), or something made in italy. Many BMX frames today use standard euro style BBs, especially racing BMX frames because they're lighter and easier to install/remove/service than american style oversized BBs.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Dee, Im still kinda confused though by your statement. Is the EURO the same as English threaded. If so then I can use it on my bike but im kinda confused by your wording.

·
Registered
242 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hey Rockin, can you post a link because I looked a few days before and just now after I saw your post and cannot find any FSA square taper bottom brackets on chain reaction. That price is about $60 more than most of the vendors charge here in the US for a 68mm ti one. I may as well go get a Phil Wood or an Action Tec for that price. Thanks in advance.

·
What day are we riding?
1,088 Posts
Here you go...

Hardguy said:
Hey Rockin, can you post a link because I looked a few days before and just now after I saw your post and cannot find any FSA square taper bottom brackets on chain reaction. That price is about $60 more than most of the vendors charge here in the US for a 68mm ti one. I may as well go get a Phil Wood or an Action Tec for that price. Thanks in advance.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=864

Just up to 110 though

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
whoa hey I had my thread hijacked!

Back on track. Can anyone answer the question I posed previously about the EURO bottom bracket? Also I called action tec, all I got was a message saying they were closed till MID FEBRUARY!!!! Anyone know about that.

·
What day are we riding?
1,088 Posts
Sorry,

Santa Clauz said:
whoa hey I had my thread hijacked!

Back on track. Can anyone answer the question I posed previously about the EURO bottom bracket? Also I called action tec, all I got was a message saying they were closed till MID FEBRUARY!!!! Anyone know about that.
As I had a part in derailing here is a pic...

http://revolutionbmx.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=30_34&products_id=47&osCsid=723e2d6b8b234453ef020a399f8b9a65

Euro is the BMX term for English/standard (non-italian) threading that is used in the rest of the cycling world. So the threading would work if you have a 68mm English threaded BB shell.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,913 Posts
English threading also comes in the 73mm BB shell though. Italian is 70mm.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guys, I had an idea of what you were talking about, I just wasnt 100% clear. But now im good to go

1 - 17 of 17 Posts