Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 267 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the lightest rotors out there or a good combo of light/strong? I have G2 Cleansweeps right now (160/185) running on Avid Juicy 5s. I am going to convert to 160/160 and want some lightweight rotors that will work with the Juicy 5s. I like the bling of the Hope Floaters. Will they work?

·
bike rider
1,152 Posts
Scrub Components are the lightest I've found but the looks are an acquired taste. The new magnesium are going to be even lighter but I think they look better. Did I mention that they're Crazy expensive? $145 per for the standard rotors and I'm sure even more for the new ones.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
The alligator serrated rotors are light and all steel, so stop well. Also the hope alloy centre rotors (from the mini X2 pro) are good too.

·
Registered
862 Posts
formula rotors are pretty light - I'm considering some for my AM bike, saves 40-50g each over XT rotors if my info is correct (180mm).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Best bank for your buck is probably the alligator serrated from pricepoint for $15. I've heard the Formulas are better in terms of pad wear but have only used the alligators.

·
The MTB Lab
2,556 Posts
Ashima AiRotors! Alligator wind cutters can give pulsing issues, so I no longer use them.

I tested the Aries for a week out in California on some steep terrain, and they were pretty much useless, verging on scary. The Ashima AiRotors are monstrously powerful in comparison.

·
Registered
194 Posts
pastajet said:
I tested the Aries for a week out in California on some steep terrain, and they were pretty much useless, verging on scary.
That's a strange one - i've been very impressed with the Aries rotors. Using them with Superstar Gold sintered pads and noticed a massive increase in braking power over the standard Hayes rotors. I swapped out the rear from 185mm to 160mm at the same time too, so i was actually expecting a bit of a drop in power due to this :confused:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Anyone know any lightweight centrelock rotors? I need a 140mm one

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
MI_canuck said:
Avid Clean Sweep X (rotor from the XX group)... no idea on weight, but aluminum hub spider (so I assume lighter than Clean Sweep G3's), and decent price (compared with the likes of Scrub)...
There was a report here that Sweep X 160mm was 97g compared with 104g for regular G3 it replaced.

1 - 20 of 267 Posts