Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Tech geek and racerboy
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a lightweight rigid fork to put on my race bike (Scott Scale) for smooth XC courses, STXC and hillclimb races. I'd like to go as light as possible without breaking the bank. I've considered the Pace forks, and I might have a line on a custom Ti fork from Black Sheep. These options are around 600g or so, and both are pretty durable (especially the Black Sheep fork). But I just found out that Ritchey makes a 470g carbon MTB fork that's disc compatible! Has anyone used this fork? Is it really strong enough for serious XC racing and riding? Are there others that I might consider (that won't cost me a kidney and my first born)?

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Hardtailforever said:
I'm in the market for a lightweight rigid fork to put on my race bike (Scott Scale) for smooth XC courses, STXC and hillclimb races. I'd like to go as light as possible without breaking the bank. I've considered the Pace forks, and I might have a line on a custom Ti fork from Black Sheep. These options are around 600g or so, and both are pretty durable (especially the Black Sheep fork). But I just found out that Ritchey makes a 470g carbon MTB fork that's disc compatible! Has anyone used this fork? Is it really strong enough for serious XC racing and riding? Are there others that I might consider (that won't cost me a kidney and my first born)?
i had a no-name carbon fork on my Winterbike for 1 week before swithing to a Token Carbon.

the no-name is the exact same fork than the White Brothers "Switchblade" and also resembles a Pace. just cheaper;)
774g uncut (735g cut to 178mm), 440mm lenght

the Token is the exact same fork than the Ritchey but mine is a disc-only version so it's lighter because it doesn't come with the cantistuds like the Ritchey.
447g uncut (300mm steerer), 410mm lenght
408g cut to 175mm
you can get the Token also with cantistiuds. it's 100% identical but much cheaper than the Ritchey...

i already sold several Ritchey Carbon's:
501g uncut with cantistuds(300mm), 410mm lenght
475g without cantistuds

Attachments

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
nino said:
the Token is the exact same fork than the Ritchey but mine is a disc-only version so it's lighter because it doesn't come with the cantistuds like the Ritchey.
447g uncut (300mm steerer), 410mm lenght
The thing to note about this fork is that the shorter length of it will change your geometry quite seriously. I ran a 410mm rigid fork on my hardtail for a while and it made the head angle much too steep for my liking. It depends on the kind of riding you do, but I wouldn't use a 410mm fork again.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
correct...

Some Guy said:
The thing to note about this fork is that the shorter length of it will change your geometry quite seriously. I ran a 410mm rigid fork on my hardtail for a while and it made the head angle much too steep for my liking. It depends on the kind of riding you do, but I wouldn't use a 410mm fork again.
that's why i also posted the lenghts.

BUT i personally prefer a shorter fork over the longer ones. it makes your bike a rocketship.quick and agile handling. my winterbike really came to life with this fork!

also on my Scale i use a shortish SID (63mm of travel only). when i hop on my friends Scales i always think those are slow handling. minemakes you feel like you are on a rocketship. ok, the overall weight also makes for this but also steering the ohter bikes feels "sluggish" to me. when hopping on other brands i sometimes could fall asleep right away;)

·
Tech geek and racerboy
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
So are there any longer forks out there (43-45cm or so axle-to-race) that are lighter than the Ti forks available? Those carbon forks look super nice, but I don't want to steepen my head angle so much that I lose the wicked handling of my bike. 41cm is waaaaay too short for the way I have my ride set up (R7 plat 80 with a ride height of about 44-45cm axle-to-race).

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
WaltWorks Custom Steel

I would recommend a custom WaltWorks steel fork to anyone. I have the taper leg version on my 29er and it is THE BEST performing rigid fork I have ever been on. They are light as well, come in any size you want and the cost is around 200USD. This is my fork uncut prior to powder coat.

Attachments

·
2006 sswc RockStar
928 Posts
the whitebros. forks are nothing like the pace, they are heavier, not as well made and not hand made, pace dont make for anyone else, yet the whites are the same as the origin 8, black ops and a few other names knocking about, made in taiwan, not north yorkshire, england!

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
top_ring said:
Nice fork - I agree. And the price is right for a custom fork, but would that be considered light???

A Kona P2 comes in around the same weight for half that price.
R
That depends on what your definition of light is....remember, this is a 29er fork and it had an 11 inch steerer tube. A 26er would be lighter yet. I would place this fork in the light category for a steel fork. The fork's ability to soak up bumps is pretty amazing. You basically get about 3/4 of an inch on the big hits. This is the benefit of well-crafted steel and it certainly doesn't belong in the same category as a stock Tiawanese Kona fork.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
The Winwood Purist fork has an A to C length of 420mm but it's heavy as a steel fork.

You'll have a hard time finding an ALL carbon super light fork that has an axle to crown more then 410mm. This length is made to fit a mid to late 90's model frame. Not sure about their lengths but have a look at Trigon. Not to many folks talking about these, even though they are very similar, or even the same as the Ritchey/ Token models. I just bought one of these. Not a bad price for a light weight experiment.

Good luck with your search.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
White Brothers and Bontrager...

Hardtailforever said:
So I'll ask again- are there any carbon forks out there besides the Pace (at around 700g) that measure 43-45cm?
white Brothers Switchback 26" measures the same 44cm as my 0815 taiwan fork (it's the same fork!)

Bontrager also has a rigid carbon Pace-alike fork.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Wow!

Axis II said:
I would recommend a custom WaltWorks steel fork to anyone. I have the taper leg version on my 29er and it is THE BEST performing rigid fork I have ever been on. They are light as well, come in any size you want and the cost is around 200USD. This is my fork uncut prior to powder coat.
I have spoken with Walt before and he helped me find some tubing for my MTB but I did not know he sold forks separately.

I was going to buy a Yo Eddy fork for my Yo Eddy rebuild but I can save money (by avoiding ebay) and few ozs with a WaltWorks. Looks cool and supports an existing builder.

I am glad I saw this post. How long did it take to get your fork?

·
formerly Giantxc
649 Posts
I ran a Spicer Ti fork on my single speed for a few years before selling it to finance and F100X. I now regret selling it since I'm building up a hardtail for short tracks and smooth courses and would like to be able to throw a rigid on for a handful of races. It was a great handling fork, very light (I never weighed it, but I think it was advertised at 1.2 lbs) and (I think) suspension corrected to 430mm. Most importantly, I never had a problem with it despite using it in technical terrain and in races.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.