Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! i have klein attitude race 2002 year. I want change my xt 770 cranks, wich converted to 1x9, to more lighweight cranks. What can you reccomend me? I found xtr 970 wich lighter 80 gramms? and new 12 speed Sram dub standart cranks wich is more light than xtr 970, but can they run with 9 speed cassete? maybe change to 11 speed chain? and the difference with chainline, i have 50, sram dub have 49 is it ok?

·
Bikes in jeans
2,317 Posts
What's your budget? Just about any current cranks should still fit that frame, you may need a difference bottom bracket, but budget plays a big role. Some of the higher end stuff costs $500+, the cane creek ti crankset is like $1000.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
450$ max, THM is very expensive . Maybe i can buy used cranks?

Klein have bsa bb, then i cant use bb30 right?

·
Bikes in jeans
2,317 Posts
450$ max, THM is very expensive . Maybe i can buy used cranks?

Klein have bsa bb, then i cant use bb30 right?
You can use an external cup 30mm BB. That's what I run on one of my older frames, I got the Hope BB, which I believe is the same or almost the same as the wheels manufacturing one, and I run a raceface next crankset. You do have to make sure to get the correct spindle length, but still totally possible on that frame.

So, RF Next. Canondale SiSL or SiSL2 would work. You could also look at the SRAM carbon stuff, I believe some of those come in 30mm and GXP spindles. Or just stick with Shimano, their XTR cranks are fairly light and if you go a model back, used should be easy to find.

·
Bikes in jeans
2,317 Posts
Just remembered this one: https://www.sram.com/en/truvativ/models/fc-desc-c-a1

You would want the GXP BSA version and get a GXP BB for your frame, which is 24mm on the drive side, 22mm on the other side. Should save almost a half pound from your M770 and comes in way cheaper than any other carbon crankset I can think of.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Check Ebay, you can get a GXP 11 speed XX1 crankset for $259 plus $25 shipping. This is just one example as they have other options available. Then just get a GXP bb for like $30.

·
Registered
39 Posts
E Thirteen XCX carbon cranks are claimed to be the lightest at around 350 grams with a 30t ring. I have yet to put my set on. I have a BSA bb from them as well. I have their set of aluminum XCX cranks with about 3000 singlespeed miles on them without any issuses.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
E Thirteen XCX carbon cranks are claimed to be the lightest at around 350 grams with a 30t ring. I have yet to put my set on. I have a BSA bb from them as well. I have their set of aluminum XCX cranks with about 3000 singlespeed miles on them without any issuses.
thank you, i think it's best choise for me, about 530 gramms vs 666 xtr (with bb,chainring 38t and cranks)

·
Registered
173 Posts
What is a good place to get component weights?

I been looking at cranks as well as some publication for example list the Sram XX1 465g other 483g and up to 493g not sure if is because different version of it or what but that a huge difference when you are looking at the best gram to $ ratio.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,025 Posts
What is a good place to get component weights?

I been looking at cranks as well as some publication for example list the Sram XX1 465g other 483g and up to 493g not sure if is because different version of it or what but that a huge difference when you are looking at the best gram to $ ratio.
Search on google for the product and use the word "weight", then select "images". This usually brings up several pictures of said product on a scale. Not perfect obviously, but nothing is. Otherwise you weight your own stuff. Here are my 2019 XX1 cranks with 32t ring:

01aa3b8d5cf2b417b28a275a16472d1c42cd8de094.jpg

There are a couple versions of the XX1. Older versions had foam in the metal skeleton. The newer XX1s have removed this and the current X01 is essentially the same as the old XX1 with the foam, more geared toward AM/enduro.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts