Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
E30 Rollin'
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings fellow weight weenies. I'll get straight to the point. I've always liked the concept of the kickstand but can't justify putting one on my bike due to the amount of weight that it adds. When I was a kid I remember getting off my bike and slapping the old kickstand down, not having to worry about finding something to lean it against or the seat/handlebars being damaged from leaning the bike on the ground. Does anyone know of a manufacturer out there that is making a streamlined, light kickstand; possibly out of carbon fiber/ titanium or some other composite? Thanks.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I don't have a kickstand suggestion, but having one on a bike you actually take out on trails seems a bit dangerous. I'd be scared it would come loose or get caught on something...

Also, it's a mountain bike, it's supposed to get dinged up :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thehemiman said:
Greetings fellow weight weenies. I'll get straight to the point. I've always liked the concept of the kickstand but can't justify putting one on my bike due to the amount of weight that it adds. When I was a kid I remember getting off my bike and slapping the old kickstand down, not having to worry about finding something to lean it against or the seat/handlebars being damaged from leaning the bike on the ground. Does anyone know of a manufacturer out there that is making a streamlined, light kickstand; possibly out of carbon fiber/ titanium or some other composite? Thanks.
i know that on one of the online stores i was on there was a tiny stand you could use that connects to you pedal and is small enough to stow in your camelpack.

·
Wicketed
607 Posts
It's a tough one, eh? I'm after a carbon fibre shopping basket as well, as the wicker ones are so heavy they make the steering really poor..........

;)

·
gone for a bike ride
1,973 Posts
rocks (or kerbs) are your friend Thehemiman ...you don't have to take them with you - so no weight penalty, simply rotate your crank arm so your pedal rests on an appropriately sized stone or rock or sleeping tramp, ect. - et voila! ;)

Thehemiman said:
Does anyone know of a manufacturer out there that is making a streamlined, light kickstand; possibly out of carbon fiber/ titanium or some other composite? Thanks.
...you were joshing right? :ihih:

·
Registered
534 Posts
Thehemiman said:
seat, handlebar getting damaged? omg, just go out and buy a road bike already.:madman:

·
Registered
27 Posts
yup kickstand nice sometimes

Here's mine. I was also very weight conscious when coming up with this one. Kinda cool that in order to modify this one to fit, it was losing weight at each step of the way. First the steel mounting brackets were replaced with aluminum, then the plastic itself went on a carbide burr in the drill press and then a dremel tool diet.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=7782270#post7782270

Don't hate on me for the uglies on the steering tube that raise the bars, got a nice plan underway for the whole front end too, new aluminum fork, 165gr stem, and some cr-mo bars.

Attachments

·
Obsession? Its a Passion!
129 Posts
Get a good set of handlebar plugs. Then lay your bike down wherever you please. As for the seat, you never ride on the sides, so no worries there.
Handlebar plugs (8g) and easily replaceable... much lighter and cheaper than even a carbon kickstand!

·
Church of the Wheel
749 Posts
DougGuy said:
Here's mine. I was also very weight conscious when coming up with this one. Kinda cool that in order to modify this one to fit, it was losing weight at each step of the way. First the steel mounting brackets were replaced with aluminum, then the plastic itself went on a carbide burr in the drill press and then a dremel tool diet.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=7782270#post7782270

Don't hate on me for the uglies on the steering tube that raise the bars, got a nice plan underway for the whole front end too, new aluminum fork, 165gr stem, and some cr-mo bars.
That is one fugly saddle. Props for not being a conformist.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.