Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a really lightweight frame, either a mountain frame or a cyclocross. I cannot decide. Scandium or carbon, doesn't matter. Vbrakes, not disc. I really want to find an old SOBO or Limba (IRK, if you read this email me!).

Any ideas? Anyone have anything for sale? Or know someone?

Here's my list:

Kona Explosif Scandium Black/White 18"
VooDoo SOBO
VooDoo Limba
Bianchi Cross Concept

Wouldn't mind a great deal on a Scott or a Extralite, etc. But, them be costly. Also, I don't really like the Salsa's.

And, only looking for a frame, and I am going to turn it into a SS. Hence, VBrakes as the Eccentric ENO hub is V only.

Thanks!
Jake

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
How about a Klein frame. Keep your eyes on ebay. I got a new attitude for 270$ shipped. The pulses are lighter and cheaper. I was actually looking for a pulse, but wasnt gonna pass an attitude for that cheap. Them attitude frames run 1400-1550ish grams. Or, even cheaper, take a look at those litech/lodestar mag frames. I'm not sure about quality though, so youd need to look into that. Just see what you can find on ebay. I found some interesding looking frames labeled Leader at a decent price to weight ratio. Gt has some nice frames that you can find cheap like this titanium xizang. Cambria has their sandvik ti frames for $550. Look for some Wheeler or Mongoos ti frames. They will be cheaper. Fetish cycles has a claimed 2.9lb alu frame for $250 (19 inch -its bs, but should still be light). There are a bunch of bikes to choose from like that. I say go for a Klein, cause that is what I would do. The best Klein for the buck would be the pulse. Ask DB or Dave Glassman about it, cause they both built ww bikes with them. Good luck with the choice. Just remember, a purple kooka stem would match great with any one of em :D .

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TheRedMantra said:
How about a Klein frame. Keep your eyes on ebay. I got a new attitude for 270$ shipped. The pulses are lighter and cheaper. I was actually looking for a pulse, but wasnt gonna pass an attitude for that cheap. Them attitude frames run 1400-1550ish grams. Or, even cheaper, take a look at those litech/lodestar mag frames. I'm not sure about quality though, so youd need to look into that. Just see what you can find on ebay. I found some interesding looking frames labeled Leader at a decent price to weight ratio. Gt has some nice frames that you can find cheap like this titanium xizang. Cambria has their sandvik ti frames for $550. Look for some Wheeler or Mongoos ti frames. They will be cheaper. Fetish cycles has a claimed 2.9lb alu frame for $250 (19 inch -its bs, but should still be light). There are a bunch of bikes to choose from like that. I say go for a Klein, cause that is what I would do. The best Klein for the buck would be the pulse. Ask DB or Dave Glassman about it, cause they both built ww bikes with them. Good luck with the choice. Just remember, a purple kooka stem would match great with any one of em :D .
Thanks for the advice. And, are you ever gonna post a pic of that stem?! I NEED TO SEE IT!!! Quit teasing me.

·
SUBLIM8er
2,212 Posts
My pic for lightweight budget HT: BP Stealth Fiber Light-$299.00. 2.75 lbs for my 16inch and this includes the seatclamp and steel canti studs. My bike weighs in at 18.38 lbs with a Sid Race up front. The ride is forgiving and stiff and it climbs better than any frameset I've owned previously. Check it out.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Axis II said:
My pic for lightweight budget HT: BP Stealth Fiber Light-$299.00. 2.75 lbs for my 16inch and this includes the seatclamp and steel canti studs. My bike weighs in at 18.38 lbs with a Sid Race up front. The ride is forgiving and stiff and it climbs better than any frameset I've owned previously. Check it out.
Post a pic when you can.
THANKS!

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
19" , 1368g

i have a nice frame for sale that has just served as a interims bike for under 200 km.
it's a 19" (L), has 585mm top tube and weighs an honest 1368g. it has no scratches at all and was used really for 5 rides or so as it was built for a friend of mine who ordered a Scott Strike back then and was told they had 4 months delivery time. so he wanted a bike while he was waiting for that Scott frame and a week after we built that bike the Scott arrived and all parts were moved over...it's not a FRM frame. those are just some stickers i put on the all black frame to make it look nicer.it's the top of the line swiss Price-Bike frameset of 2003 made out of AN-6 Aluminium (equivalent to easton Ultralight).

here's the bike how it looked back then:
https://light-bikes.com/bikegallery/BikeListing.asp?id=122

interested?
[email protected]

·
Old School Member
124 Posts
Nice frame Nino!

____

I picked up a 2001 Klein Attitude Race frame on Ebay for $290. It should hold me over this fall/winter until I see a 2005 FS frame that floats my boat. I am spending the money I saved on a nice set of American Classic 350 non-disc wheels (28/32) built with Sapim CX-Ray spokes. Spiffy! Oh, and that awesome Syntace F99 Stem from Dirtboy.

The rest of the bike is Ebay and Classifieds goodies on the cheap.

Still need a 80mm fork with an uncut or real longer steerer. No luck so far on non-crap or non-overpriced forks.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,939 Posts
i'm betting that's not a very short stem... too bad, my friend will is doing a retro colour singlespeed (he painted a 2002 vintage True Temper OX Gold chromoly frame in neon pink with black lightning bolts, and is going with mucho pink and purple annodized parts/accessories) and he hasn't solved his stem choice yet. But he prefers 120mm or less.

In any case, my suggestion for inexpensive and light, is one of the magnesium Litech frames on ebay.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.