Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Had my first fall in a while this week, another really dumb one on terrain I know well...Anyway, my wife 'suggested' that I might want to get some pads, mostly to protect against more scrapes/bruises. I'm not a downhiller, pretty mellow rider for the most part. I also get hot and sweat. So I'm looking for suggestions for lighter weight elbow pads that breath really well..Don't need downhill protection as I don't ride that way (mostly xc). Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I like the TLD Speed elbow sleeves. Light enough to forget about on long hot rides. They're really only good at preventing abrasion rather than full impact protection, but that's all I really need.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I enjoy the Dainese Trail Skins 2 knee and elbow protectors. I wear the knees every ride and elbows when challenging new or very technical trails. And I can attest that the knees breathe very well in the 90* 85% humidity days we get to "enjoy" here in the N. FL. summers...

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
Most sweaters are fairly stretchy so any elbow guards should work...

I have the TLD Speed Sleeves but they’re baggy up top. Maybe I need to hit the gym and blast my bi’s.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m a sweater and wear elbow/knee protection on every ride after a friend has been out of work for three months. I have the ION E-Pact and K-Pact pads. I’ve ridden with them in humid 90+ weather and I can’t tell a difference between being hot and being hot because of the pads. If you order them, just be aware they run really small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've been happy with my 7idp flexible d3O like elbow pads. They stay up better than any other elbow pad I've used thanks to the silicone gripper that goes way above your biceps into your armpit zone. Little tight on the forearm but nothing that bugs me while I'm riding.

·
Registered
989 Posts
POC VPD Airs! Love them.
Truly, I don't even know they're there.
d3O works well and they're easy to wash.
Im happy to report that d3o works well. Well, i rather would not have at all, but the outcome was good.
Last night on our after work DH run i got taken out by an animal, midsize dog or pig. Riding buddy in front flushed one in front of him and then a second one nailed my front wheel. It happened so fast only thing i could tell was it was light colored and let out a yelp. In a flash was thrown from bike and slammed on ground and i was dirt surfing. Primary points of impacts was hip, elbow and forearm. I have 661 d3o elbow/forearm pad and it worked like a charm. A couple abrasion burn spots where inner fabric rubbed. Hip is another story, only had liners, shorts that are actually pretty thick and burly, and wide lightly padded waistband of pack. No broken skin but can feel deep bruising. Ibuprofen and ice packs taking care of that pretty well.
Those 661's dont fit me great, but they did their job!
I love the fit on the Race Face kneesi had, but they didnt factor into this crash.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.