Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
I would value durability and reliability over weight on a dropper post.
To paraphrase "If you ask, you can't afford it", if you are very concerned about dropper post weight, maybe you're not in need of one.

If ounces of difference are that important, though, I'd go for a shorter travel option and look up the 4 or 5 highest rated posts and dig into how heavy they are. It would be a very easy search.

As to the question, "Anyone use a dropper?". I know you're not new here!

·
Registered
7,165 Posts
I have run the KS Lev Ci's on a few bikes now. Class leading weight and they work great. For instance I have a 31.6/ 175mm one on my Spur now. Thing only weighs like 420 grams or something.

Something to note is that KS adds quite a bit of weight to their online listed weights for an included cable and remote where everyone else weighs there with no remote.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I have a DT dropper that is pretty damn light but only 60 of travel. Just picked up a Transfer SL that isn't nearly as smooth as the DT but haven't ridden it much yet, maybe it will smooth up a little with use.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
I have run the KS Lev Ci's on a few bikes now. Class leading weight and they work great. For instance I have a 31.6/ 175mm one on my Spur now. Thing only weighs like 420 grams or something.

Something to note is that KS adds quite a bit of weight to their online listed weights for an included cable and remote where everyone else weighs there with no remote.
How long have you use your KS? While it needs to be verified, online research says the durability of KS carbon post in general after a while is of concern. Any thoughts from your first hand experience?

·
Registered
7,165 Posts
Purchased my first KS Lev Ci (30.9/ 175) around 2017 when they were first released. I had it rebuilt under warranty about 22 months in due to some sagging and sold it off. To be fair I over use dropper posts and use to ride a ton.

I purchased the Ci I'm using now (31.6/ 175) in July 2018. It sat in storage for about 3 months earlier this year in the compressed position and when I busted it out about 2 months ago for my Spur it wouldn't stay up. It was well past it's 2 year warranty so I bought a cartridge online and put it in myself and am using that dropper on my Spur now. The pins that prevent post rotation, were completely disintegrated.

From my perspective most dropper's need a rebuild about 1x/ year so I consider the KS Dropper's to have above average reliability.

I have a OneUp on my wife's bike and the specs (stack height/ weight/ price) is really good for certain, but the operation is funky. Sticky and what not.

I purchased the newest KS 200mm dropper for my SJ Evo a few months back and of course it's not super light (but competitive) but that thing moves so nicely. Very smooth, just the right top out sound. Really like that dropper too.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As to the question, "Anyone use a dropper?". I know you're not new here!
I know weight weenies who don't run a rear brake and take out 3 rotor bolts on the front to save weight. So yeah, anyone here use a dropper?

Thanks everyone the for real world input. I'll check these out.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
I know weight weenies who don't run a rear brake and take out 3 rotor bolts on the front to save weight. So yeah, anyone here use a dropper?

Thanks everyone the for real world input. I'll check these out.
It sounds like you're new to droppers. That's surprising, considering how long you've been around here. You should still concentrate on reliability and durability. But, if weight's the most important factor, fine.
But again, real world, shorter travel is lighter.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I think a ton of people use droppers these days but most are more about how long a dropper they can fit vs how much it weighs. More drop = more fun haha! ;) As for lightweight droppers, there's the LEV Ci, Fox Transfer SL, and Bike Yoke Divine SL. I haven't tried those models but at least the companies are experienced. I'm sure there are others I didn't mention.

@Suns_PSD try unscrewing the collar of your OneUp dropper and slide it up a shaft a bit. Apply some Slick Honey to the shaft below the collar so that it's captured inside the collar when you screw it back on. Doesn't have to be a lot but it does wonders for a sticky dropper.

·
Registered
332 Posts
@Suns_PSD try unscrewing the collar of your OneUp dropper and slide it up a shaft a bit. Apply some Slick Honey to the shaft below the collar so that it's captured inside the collar when you screw it back on. Doesn't have to be a lot but it does wonders for a sticky dropper.
^^^ This is great advice for any sticky dropper issues. If it's got an air cartridge, also make sure you have enough pressure in that, but Slick Honey or another light grease works wonders for sticky posts. Also, maybe I don't ride as much as some, but having to rebuild a dropper every year would have me looking for a different post.

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
This wont be a popular answer but Gravity Dropper is probably 200-300g lighter (450g ish) than anything out there and is one of the most reliable components I've ever used. Install and forget. I haven't touched mine since I bought it in 2006 with 10,000+ miles and hundreds of gravity events under it's belt.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I'll second @Suns_PSD experience- I had a KS Lev Ci on my Intense Sniper and basically ignored it for 2.5 years and it was still running fine when I finally swapped it last month for a longer travel post. It's got some side to side play in the shaft, but reliably moves up and down very smoothly and quickly. Much lighter than any of the commonly available options with similar specs.

I've actually got it for sale for cheap if you're interested, 31.6, 125mm travel. I'm sure a fresh cartridge and pins would make it like new.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts