Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used the hydraulic brake hose from discobrakes.com http://discobrakes.com/?s=0&t=4&c=78&p=818& ?

They claim its only 19g/m and is "Kevlar reinforced Teflon Nylon hose for use with DOT 4 or Mineral oil". I've got some left-over silver jagwire hyflow and it weighs about 23g/m but is quite a bit more expensive and doesn't include the fittings.

According to the discobrakes claims, a complete rear brake hose setup should come in at 19g/m x 1.6m + 2 x 1g barbs + 2 x 3gm nuts = 38.4g which seems quite reasonable.

·
gone for a bike ride
1,973 Posts

·
Trail Ninja
6,302 Posts
isn't Yumeya YM-BH81 is also supposed to be lighter than regular mineral oil type hydraulic line?

or is it just: "Thicker inner tube of hose with smaller bore diameter increases rigidity over BH59 hose by 39% improving power and performance"

anyway its still on sale @ 79% off here : Jenson USA - Online mountain & road bike parts, clothing and accessories shop | Jenson USA

...can't find a weight for it per metre - does anyone know?
I recall an interview and factory tour at Shimano where the Shimano rep emphasized that finding materials to make their hoses as rigid as possible, without being brittle, was a challenge, and played a big role in getting their brakes feeling so direct, and not spongy like the competition.

·
ACHOO
4,492 Posts
I recall an interview and factory tour at Shimano where the Shimano rep emphasized that finding materials to make their hoses as rigid as possible, without being brittle, was a challenge, and played a big role in getting their brakes feeling so direct, and not spongy like the competition.
I don't believe a spongy feeling is related to hoses.

13.33g/m BFO hose has nothing about spongy...quite the opposite!
Interesting point from Varaxis, which got me thinking. Does hose stiffness matter? (Bedroom: yes. Bikes: I don't know.)

I was thinking "no", but what if the force applied to the brakes moves the hose a bit along the way, instead of sending that force with 100% efficiency? Take a water hose with a lot of pressure - we've all seen that when they slither or flip around on their own from the pressure. Does the hose movement take away from the force/pressure along the hose?

I wonder if Shimano is really seeking super-stiff hoses? As it is, their hoses are indeed a pain to work with, especially compared to other brands.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Isn't the real problem with hoses that they can expand if they aren't strong enough? So some of your pressure is inflating the hose, rather than forcing the pads onto the disc.

When that happens it would feel exactly like it does when you compress an air bubble in a poorly bled hose, your finger pressure isn't all going to the pads.

In the car and motorcycle racing scene, strong, braided hoses are a standard way to increase brake performance

·
Registered
966 Posts
I have a hard time wrapping my head around braided hoses for cycling. Comparing the forces generated by an entire leg pushing the brakes of a car (plus your back compressing the seat) with One finger pulling a brake lever...I'm sure there are ways to precisely quantify that but just by thinking about it I can securely say that the difference is huge!

Yes is a theory that makes sense, but until I see precise data to prove the benefit of a braided hose affecting braking performance on a bicycle....I'll stick with my lovely BFO hoses.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.