Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm being looking around for a light DH frame for amateur racing.

Came to read about the Mountain Cycle Shockwave 9.5 and the Morewood Imizu DH.
The MC can be lower to about 8+" travel and which is similar to the Morewood.
Both frames under 2 grands. Still within my budget. Can't stretch more than that though..

Will be looking to have a light rear shock(DHX Air, DHX with Ti coil or DoubleBarrel with Ti)

I need it light as i'm only 145lbs kitted and can't power up a heavy bike like I wish I could.

Anyone have any other suggestions and know of the pros and cons of the frames?

Hopefully to hear from you guys soon.

Kit build is more or less with the following parts
XTR 952 165mm cranks
with XT drivetrain
GamutUSA chainguide
Boxxer Team
Shimano Saint levers/Caliper with Goodridge
DT FR/440 hubs with Syncros DS28 or DT 5.1
THE saddle
Time Z control

·
Calm like a bomb
3,539 Posts
The Morewood looks nice, they claim it can be built to under 40 lbs. It uses a 9.5x3.0 shock so a DHX-A would fit. No frame weight listed on their site though.

·
-> SickLines.com <-
3,196 Posts
The morewood frame can easily be built under 40. Check the 2006 frames for weights but its 10lbs with a swinger 6way w/steel coil.

Look on Ridemonkey if you want some examples but it shouldn't be hard at all.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just got a cheap socom frame off ebay from the U.S. It's light and pedals up to speed like a much smaller bike. I'm very impressed with it. Might be a bit expensive for you brand new though.

check it out: http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1282691/

·
Registered
558 Posts
nickhart said:
since when has 49lbs been light?
turner highline builds at around the forty mark. the 224 can be built super light and is simple and amazing on fast tracks. what about offerings from cannondale too they're usually good on the scales.
It is not light. I posted that so you could see what kind of componants would get you to 49lbs. Now he can compare his build and get a ball park figure as to a final weight. Just replacing the Monster with the Boxxer will save +/- 5lbs. Do you know the weight of those Intense tires? I do......Heavy!!
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=2146498#poststop

·
Equal opportunity meanie
2,781 Posts
The 9.5 lowered to 8" or so with the shorter shock felt gooood geometry wise, but pedaled like butt with the pivot location. I'd still say the Morewood if you're doing any pedaling at all.

Basically any modern race frame is going to be pretty damned lightweight. The Glory's are still kinda heavy I think, but not unreasonably so.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
If you want a lighter DH and like Morewood's then why not a Shova Lt, that could handle most dh courses and still be built ~37lbs

·
a tight kick sound
1,812 Posts
umm cough..cough
Nicolai UFO ST..cough ummm :thumbsup:
Super sweet bike. Mine is at 37 lbs 7 inches up front (can go to 8) and 7.5 in the rear with air and up to 8 with diff shock! REally low CG, rips corners and jumps like a nothing I have ever ridden. Git sum :)

MMmmmmmmmmmm

Plus check the picture in my profile...mmmmmmmmm best set-up ever seen.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
eclipse1 said:
I'm being looking around for a light DH frame for amateur racing.

What is everyones fixation on light weight lately? I'd rather have some thing that won't crack, bend or break, than save few ounces here or there.

I need it light as i'm only 145lbs kitted and can't power up a heavy bike like I wish I could.

Instead of concentrating on a light frame, perhaps you should work on strengthening your own, with some weight training, or something that make you physically strong enough to throw your bike around as needed. Also learn to use momentum, practice up on a pump track.

Having some light weight POS part, that you paid an arm and leg for , is not worth it if craps out on you haulin azz down some steep, or doing a drop.:nono:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts