Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, this is going to sound lame, but I'm preparing a bike for multi-day bike camping. I'm already carrying 15 pounds of camping gear and food on my bike, but I need to be able to lock it up reasonably well. A good full sized U-lock and cable can add 7 pounds to my mix. Let's say medium security. Like, lock it up outside a store for 15 minutes while shopping for a few items kinda security, not lock it up outside the railway station in a bad neighborhood while at work security.

I've always used heavy duty U-locks, but they weigh a ton, especially when you factor in a heavy cable. I have not used one of those Kryptonite chains, but those seriously weigh a ton.

I was thinking a good cable and one of those Kryptonite mini U-locks, but I'd love to hear other ideas.

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
44 Posts
This will sound a bit odd, but, handcuffs and about 1 foot of chain.
Lock one end of handcuffs around wheel other end around frame, before locking slip the locking bit of handcuffs through chain and around a solid object like a tree or post.
Alternatively, handcuff bike to wrist or ankle, just don't roll over too quickly.:)

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks... but...

frequent crasher said:
This will sound a bit odd, but, handcuffs and about 1 foot of chain.
Lock one end of handcuffs around wheel other end around frame, before locking slip the locking bit of handcuffs through chain and around a solid object like a tree or post.
Alternatively, handcuff bike to wrist or ankle, just don't roll over too quickly.:)
Handcuff keys are pretty standardized. That would be pretty easy to pop open.

Browsing around I found some integrated cable/locks. I don't know if I trust them enough for unattended parking in the city, but maybe this is the ticket.

·
i like rocks
1,606 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
I live in LA, bikes get stolen here, the evolution mini is THE lock of choice round here. no point carrying a lock that can broken easily. it is hard to get that lock through the fame and a wheel though , so get bolt on or locking skewers and simplly put the u lock on the top tube.

·
i like rocks
1,606 Posts
you don't have to get the lock around the frame -and- a tire. like i said, if you lock around the rear tire WITHIN the rear triangle of the frame, your good to go. nobody is getting your bike or your rear wheel.

kinda pissed that fox went to a 20mm qr system....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.