Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

Im fixing to replace my tires and wanted to try something new. I've been running 26x2.4 High Rollers(3c terra max or whatever) and they're great but at 920g each they're a beast on long rides. I was looking for a tire that rolls fast for gravel roads, climbs well on loose over hard pack(think NC mountains), and is much lighter than 920gs. Also in 2.3-2.4. Any suggestions?

Thanks folks.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I've got a 2.3 Specialized Ground Control up front with a 2.2 Purgatory out back. On of the best combo's I have had. Loads of grip, both mounted up tubeless on the first try with a floor pump and both have great grip in the loose stuff over hardpack. Also both are great in the techy climbs where grip going over rocks and roots doesn't give out killing your upward momentum. Neither cost over $50 either.

·
mountain biker
535 Posts
I found Specialized tires to have problematic sidewalls. And I've tried all the variations (Control, UST, GRID). It's a shame too, because I really like everything else about those tires.

I've had good luck with my Conti Mountain King IIs so far (black chili, ProTection). Good volume, good grip, decent treadlife so far, nice cornering, nice braking.

If you don't have problems tearing or puncturing sidewalls, there's lots of good options, as listed above. If you have problems with sidewalls, you're going to have a hard time finding durable tires that weigh less than 800g, in the 2.3" width range.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I run the Thunder Burts for my "all mountain" hardtail riding. They handle the terrain amazingly well given how they look, and I haven't blown them out on any of the drops (I am 170lbs and don't really go for huge hits -- I have a day job and all). I am strongly considering moving them to the FS for a bit when I get my FS bike this spring. I think they are under 900 grams for BOTH front and rear...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.