·
In my mind, I can do it!
2,365 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1st nite ride!

it was awsome! I rode my local loop backwards (it is normally a one way loop - no one else on trail at night). I rode with a buddy who also has a HID light. It felt like the first time I went camping. It was a joy just to ride my bike. My local loop has a main loop w/ 6 more technical additions. I only rode the main loop. Also, because we rode it backwards I often didn't know where I was until after I passed a landmark. I was careful in the narly stuff - walked several things I would have normally rode. If it didn't feel good i didn't do it. We had both rode yeasterday morning - the feel of the ride was all about fun. It was cool seeing all the night creatures (deer, rabbits, owls, ect). We had both see fox out on our trail before, but we didn't see any last night.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm roll'in w/ only one (helmet mount) HID. It might be nice to have a bar mount light of some kind later, but for now the one light works great.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Slave

my ass hurts too - gotta get a new saddle. Thinking of going oldschool - brooks team race. also considering a fizik. Maybe I should just start a saddle thread?

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
GreenBonty said:
Can you do same trails?, same speed?. Gues not but still it sounds very good.
What's your experience?.
GB
for the most part. I'm not doing dirt jumps or anything, but XC/AM type trails I can do at pretty close to daylight speeds. I'm using a cateye doubleshot on my helmet (I've found bar-mount lights pretty much useless do I don't bother).

It is a totally different experence, it's amazing how dark and quiet it gets out in the woods compared the suburbs with streetlights, cars and houses. One of the first times I went out I stopped in a field to fiddle with my light, and right before I mounted up again, I saw two silver dots on the other side of the field. I stood there looking at it for a few minutes, I know it was a deer I just caught with my light, but it creeped me out (after all, Yetis have been spotted in the area)... That sort of thing doesn't happen durring the day! Another cool experence is hearing, but not seeing a nearby stream.

·
In my mind, I can do it!
2,365 Posts
BelaySlave said:
Man I wish I could afford HID's! Right now, for late fall/winter/early spring use I have a pair of 10w NiteRider's. Nothing bling-bling of course, but it does an OK job for the hour or so of riding I do at night. Depending on my $ situation later this year, I may invest in a stronger combo.
Those links I posted for the Ledshoppe are totally affordable lights. One is a 21 led light for $10 and the other is a 5 led for $5. shipping is free. Sure, they are cheap lights but bright enough to do the job well. The only small issue I have seen so far is that the bar clamp is too small for larger bars. No big, the LBS sells a bar extension for just such things for $10. For a small investment of about $25 you can have a nice lighting system.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.