Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
try driving your car less
3,097 Posts
shiggy said:
Borrow them. $150 is not enough for lights with long run times and bright enough to ride fast.
yup. also, if it's just laps, then you need extra batteries. to swap between laps.

i also suggest having more than one light, even if the second light is an inexpensive model, like an LED headlamp ziptied to your helmet. it's better than nothing if the other light fails! and bring a little LED keychain flashlight in case something breaks. easier than trying to point the bike light where you need it.

good luck! lights are pricey, unfortunately.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm teaming up with another 29er so we will switch off laps. I already have a Petzel LED thingy attached to a head strap but that really is no good for off road riding.

I was hoping there was something that could either be recharged sufficiently in an hour to last the next hour or runs AAs where I could just splurge and buy a bunch of AAs for the one race.

If the really good ones cost more then I would have to sell off a 26er to get the cash.

·
R I D E S T E E L
646 Posts
A couple thoughts. First, for that $$, you may check out more generic lights from Performance or Nashbar. Not sure what they can offer, just a thought.

And yes, the good lights cost a good sum more than $150. But, that doesn't mean you have to spend a ton, as I know of guys who have rigged things together. You could possibly get a cheap light and have an extra battery made at one of those battery shops.

The other thought would be to check out the Endurance forum. Those guys may have a lot more experience with this.

I'd recommend going with more than 10 watts. 10 may seem bright in some cases, but really isn't. I'd say a minimum of 15-20 watts should do it. The more the better, obviously. Then again, you need something quality, as a broken light will get you no where. Finding that balance for your budget will be key. Best of luck.

·
Registered
151 Posts
You also need to train at night. See if you can demo a bunch of lights and find which one is best in your price range. I agree with all of the previous responses. Good advice.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Good inexpensive light....

I've been using a Marwi Nightpro Elite for years now. While it's not the super bling HID that has become the standard, it is a good inexpensive way to get into night riding. It's also super compact with a very small battery pack, and after years of using mine I still get a solid 1.5 hour burn time.

Under $100 with HDY10 at checkout

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
I had my first crack at night racing recently. First lap i had a 15w on the helmet, and a 10w on the bars. that was sufficient, but with either one on its own, it was less than optimal.

If you will only have one light, it needs to be mounted on the helmet, as your bars dont always point exactly where you want to go.

For the next to laps, i got to use an HID light. It was very bright, and almost eliminated the factor of night riding. I could ride almost the same as i did in the day, but an HID will be expensive, even if it is a deal.

Also, if the night is long, you will need spare batteries. You can make one for less than you can buy another pack in most cases, by connecting some cells in series, and wraping them up, finding the correct plug. If you choose this, be sure to try it before the race.

·
R I D E S T E E L
646 Posts
Actually, night riding is a blast! The more guys, the more fun it seems to be.

If you're riding technical terrain, I recommend a lower wattage light on the helmet and a higher wattage light on the bars. Reason is, a helmet light sits above your eyes and with some objects, like small logs and roots, you won't see a shadow and it can be tough to see some things. I had this happen last year when riding at night and I plowed into a couple things I didn't even see with my HID. In some instaces, HIDs can almost be too bright on the helmet, as they almost paint the color out of objects with the bright beam.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.