Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been an avid mtnbiker for over 15yrs and i would like to start riding at night.
Thought it would be as simple as surf the net for a light....WRONG.....way to many lights and technologies for my pea brain.
Here's my question:
Can you recommend a simple quality LED light for trail riding without unnecessary gadgets,i just want to ride.
Would like it to be a handlebar mount with atleast 3hr burn time and not melt my front tire.

Thanks

·
Goats Rule!
354 Posts
Trinewt or Dinotte 400L with 4C battery or two 2C batteries.

$300 or so on ebay for Trinewt. 3.5 hours runtime on high, 7 on low, which is really more like medium.

$209 for Dinotte with 2 2C batteries. 2.5 hours runtime on high each, 5 on medium.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I recommend the Dinotte 400L for $209( ask for free next day USPS shipping). 8 oz with battery compare to 1.4 lbs on for the trinewt with battery. 400L is as bright as Trinewt. but Trinewt have the better handlebar mount and better beam pattern. 2 year warrenty on the 400L with 3 power setting and 3 flash settings.

·
Registered
362 Posts
400l

I concur with those that say 400L. I ended up buying a couple, one for the bars and one for the helmet. Bar and Helmet is recommended. With a two cell battery you get 2.5 hrs set at full 400 lumens or 5 hrs at 50%, 200 lumens. 200 lumens is pretty good for climbing. For descending quicker, on at 100% was plenty with both the helmet and bar combination. I found price wise this to be the best deal because like in the camera world (Canon and Nikon) your not only buying a headlamp, but your buying a system. What I mean by that, is that you can up grade, change lenses, buy extra batteries for your lamp or any lamp in their product mix becuase they all use the same ones. Their customer service also seems to be pretty good. I really happy with the quality as well.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No budget...just had no idea there where that many lights with some being upwards of 1k.

Right now i'm considering (2) minewt mini's or a Ayup 320.
I like the weight of the mini's but will 2 lights producing 110 lumens each be enough?
All my riding is off-road single track.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Bird said:
No budget...just had no idea there where that many lights with some being upwards of 1k.

I like the weight of the mini's but will 2 lights producing 110 lumens each be enough?
I'm guessing with out knowing your type of riding and terrain, most would answer no anyways.

·
At Work
1,843 Posts
Bird said:

My riding partner runs a set of Minewt X.2 Duals with the Minewt Mini USB on his helmet and it works good. You would have about 300.00 invested.

Or you could build your own.

·
Registered
318 Posts
sxr-racer said:
My riding partner runs a set of Minewt X.2 Duals with the Minewt Mini USB on his helmet and it works good. You would have about 300.00 invested.

Or you could build your own.
Minewt X.2 Dual = 300 lumens, 1:45 - 3:00 hr runtime.
Minewt Mini USB = 110 lumens, 3 hr runtime.
Total = 410 lumens / $300.00, max 3 hours runtime with the Dual on low.

Ayup = 640 lumens / $320.00 and minimum 12 hours of battery life. No brainer to me.
Our best selling kit just got better. Be safe on the trails with our 08 MTB KIT. Two high powered LED lightsets, 12 hours miniumum battery life, Dual charger, extra mounts for bush and commuter bikes plus other goodies.

Twin light and helmet mount
Light neoprene storage belt pouch
Twin light and handlebar mount
Light neoprene storage belt pouch
One spare handlebar mount
Four spare light mounting bands
One 6hr on / off switched battery complete with neoprene mount anywhere pouch
One neoprene 6hr battery attachment strap, prevents movement
Two 3hr on / off switched batteries complete with neoprene mount anywhere pouches
One 110V - 240V Adaptor in neoprene pouch, to suit dual channel charger
One 12 Volt Dual Channel Lithium Polymer Charger - charge two batteries at once
One 12 Volt Adaptor (Cigarette Lighter Plug)
One extension cable 1200mm long, enables battery to be placed in backpack or pocket
One roll up pouch, all items fit snugly inside
One handlebar rubber packer kit to suit Diameters 25mm & 32mm bars
Handful of Ubeaut cable ties

·
It's always greener
289 Posts
On/Off switch

Fuzz541 said:
Ayup kits are fantastic.

320 lumens on your bars or your helmet for $190 USD.

640 lumens between your bars AND helmet plus an extra battery for $320

https://www.ayup.com.au/kits.php

Or you could make a set yourself for about $75. https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=368896

On/Off switch on the batteries doesn't work for stealth-mode types. Just something I have to keep in mind. If you're 45 miles out in the wilderness, not relevant...but I tend to be closer to home where the ability to turn on and off the lights a moment's notice is required. For the bar light, maybe it's just fine if you mount the light on the stem or top/head tube junction...but for the helmet light, digging in the camelback for the switch may be a problem.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Cannonhead said:
On/Off switch on the batteries doesn't work for stealth-mode types. Just something I have to keep in mind. If you're 45 miles out in the wilderness, not relevant...but I tend to be closer to home where the ability to turn on and off the lights a moment's notice is required. For the bar light, maybe it's just fine if you mount the light on the stem or top/head tube junction...but for the helmet light, digging in the camelback for the switch may be a problem.
True.

However, I think it would be relatively easy to construct an inline switch using matching connectors and short pieces of cable. Just leave the battery switch on and use the inline switch near the light head.

See cable attachment here:

https://img229.imageshack.us/img229/8995/pict0008640x480qr3.jpg

Or just helmet mount the battery, as here:

https://img132.imageshack.us/img132/1511/pict0020640x480pa7.jpg

Damn those things are small. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.