Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see lot's of pics of riders with headlights on the helmets. To me they look like LED camping headlights, not the high powered standard HID ones for 24hr racing. My question is, what are you running? I have a Petzel Tikka Plus and was thinking about strapping that to my helmet for the dirt road portions of the Colorado Trail, I can easily buy new batteries for it. Is this what some of you guys use, or is there another one you'd recommend.
Thanks.

·
Exactly 1/2 of 2-Epic
750 Posts
sherpaxc said:
I see lot's of pics of riders with headlights on the helmets. To me they look like LED camping headlights, not the high powered standard HID ones for 24hr racing. My question is, what are you running? I have a Petzel Tikka Plus and was thinking about strapping that to my helmet for the dirt road portions of the Colorado Trail, I can easily buy new batteries for it. Is this what some of you guys use, or is there another one you'd recommend.
Thanks.
I've seen the Princeton Tech EOS on a lot of helmets. Not a ton of light but you get by with a bit of the force. It's a one watt LED spot.

If you have unlimited time and obsession you can build your own from LEDs and aluminum housing. It's possible to have HID light quantity at very little weight. Not simple, easy, or fast - but some of us are doing it. More details than you'd ever want to know on the lighting board.

High powered LEDs with a disposable battery option could work well I imagine - Dinotte has some, maybe the Ayup lights too.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
For lots of light and multi nights you're looking at lots of batteries or a dynamo.

Hub dynamo for infinite runtime and little drag.
4 R2 cree for lots of light(600lm+).
Details in my sig.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
If you're out for more than one night, i think that a dynamo is a pretty sweet solution.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.