Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 480 Posts

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just mounted the rings i got from Mattias Hellöre today and the result ain't that bad:

Lightning carbon crankset

175mm
ceramic-hybrid bearings
27/40 chainrings

520g :thumbsup:

These babies have a weight limit of 250lbs (113 Kilos). I should get 15-20g lighter ones soon since i am far from weighing this much;)

What i really like s far is the versatility of these cranks. They are not only light but allow so many variations. The spider is seperate and can be changed.There are several spiders available with different BCDs so everyone can find the one which suits him. You can get spiders for Road (110 compact, 130 "regular") and MTB (94 and 104/64).

When i look at the pricing you can basically say you get a superlight crankset at almost half the price of some THM Claviculas.

Since i am still concentrating on 2x9 Claviculas weren't an option anyway. They come in a 2x9 option but with 104 BCD which allows a minimum of 30t only (only Extralite offers a 30t). Their triple crankset has no option to adjust chainline which isn't ideal when running just 2 rings on them. And worst of all Claviculas have a wider q-factor too.

Anyway - i think about black anodizing the rings to make the whole assembly more appealing. As is the rings give the cranks a cheapo look. I don't care that much about it to be honest. I still have to mount them but things look very promising indeed.

Attachments

·
Registered
253 Posts
ill be gettin these when i save up enough money, looks rad btw...

where did you get the replacable spiders?

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Very nice Nino!

Can the Lightning sticker come off? It looks goofy and really ruins the look of this crank.

·
pedal pusher
2,712 Posts
I like the shape of the arms, but the logo totally kills the overall look. I think it's great that they offer so many BCD choices. Why don't more manufacturers do that?! :confused:

·
Registered
2013 Specialized Rockhopper Comp., 1992 Mongoose 7.5 NX
34 Posts
i think those are sweet!!
1) nice carbon work on the arms
2) mattais' rings look awesome
3) light as a feather

what more could you ask for?? :cool:

just saying..

·
Registered
215 Posts
Some van from the 70's called. It want's it's logo back.

I really like these cranks and I'm considering replacing my Middleburns with them....but that logo....

·
Registered
2013 Specialized Rockhopper Comp., 1992 Mongoose 7.5 NX
34 Posts
ya, looking again, would probably be cleaner w/o logo,, but i would be happy either way

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You can get them without logo which indeed makes them look much cleaner. I'm not too happy with the logo either and i'll order them without logo next time.

@Jordanrosenbach3:
You can get the various spiders seperately.As mentioned these cranks can be outfitted with many different spiders/BCDs. They can be changed within minutes.Straightforward design.

@DavidR1:
The sticker is under laquer but as always can be taken off using some fine emerycloth under water. But you can get them without logo too.

@Robin van Berkel:
apparently they also offer them for BB30

I just tried some photoshop...i'm no master at it but they already look much better without the disco-style logo.

Attachments

·
mbtr member
6,498 Posts
hey that's a familiar logo

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tiffster said:
Is that weight including the BB ?
YES sure - that's the complete set including BB!

By the way - below is a picture of the S-Works crankset you now get on all Specialized S-Works bikes...Different label,different rings.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 480 Posts