Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
I was about to mouth off and say "most expensive Scott frame, you provide the components."

Weight Weenies - Hardtail Frames

Actually, it's probably true. :p

If you want a complete bike, probably something from bikesdirect. It may not even be a bad idea, if you're happy with your current bike's fit and you can read a geometry chart.

Taking weight off the bike won't do all that much for you. Starting over with a nicer build, though, is something you'll notice if your current bike has reliability problems or the fork tends to buck you around or straight up doesn't work.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
+ 1 on bikes direct. Lots of bang for buck on light weight, well spec'd bikes. Paid $2000 for my titanium 29er and am still really enjoying it. Several others in my area have seen my bike and also got one.

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
I don't wanna sound like i'm talking down to you, but guessing by your nebulous question and 5 posts i'm gonna say my bit.

Weight is ONE factor to consider when you're looking for a mountain bike. It's hugely important when you're racing, somewhat important when you've got more lungs than gonads, and virtually irrelevant when you're a new rider or just want to get to the top so you can fly downhill. Assuming you're looking to go racing.. durability, efficiency, ergonomics, and stability should be just as important considerations as weight. 20 grams doesn't matter when you stall out on a climb. With that in mind, go compare bike weights, (keeping in mind that manufacturers lie, and there's some inherent variation in manufacturing) but be aware that if you're looking at a given price and a given type of mtb, the weights are going to be pretty close, and you're probably trading weight for some other desirable attribute. Go test ride stuff.

Screw it. Who is making a rigid carbon 26" singlespeed for 2 grand?

·
Registered
206 Posts
The S-works Stumpjumper Carbon 29er frame is somewhere around 1300 grams (around 2.9lb)) and will run around $2200-2500. For comparison purposes, a medium Niner EMD is around 1655 grams (3.65lb) and can be had for $369 ($499 msrp).

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
On-one will sell a complete Whippet singlespeed or with a geared SLX build, both well under $2000. Scott can beat them by close to a pound on the frame weight, but the price is quite a lot higher. I'm used to a steeper head angle, so I think I'd like the Whippet quite a lot. Too bad I rode a 29er the other day. :p

For reference, claimed weight on the Whippet frame is 1300g.

On-One Carbon Whippet Single Speed £899.00
On-One Carbon Whippet SLX £999.00

Prices on this stuff get stratospheric pretty fast. But the dollars/gram on saving weight at the frame is not as bad as it is on some parts of a bike, and if you're going to chip away at a build over time, starting with a good frame and replacing components works, while starting with components and then trying to go to a new frame can result in some unpleasant surprises.

I'll be curious to see what's available when I finish my Master's. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.