Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One that doesn't mind trail riding, has grip...

What is it?

I'm not comfy with running Stans and a normal tire.

·
ups and downs
15,599 Posts
What kind of trail surface?

A lot of UST versions of tires don't have the same grip as their standard brethren, like Kenda Nevegals for example, different rubber compound in the UST version so they roll faster but no Stick-E rubber performance. Conti Mountain Kings also don't have the Black Chili rubber compound in the UST version, so less grip.

·
PurpleIsFasterThanRed!
81 Posts
Compund is one thing, grip is the other one. Tubeless always have better traction due to lower pressure.

Cheers
vi3dr0

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rockyuphill said:
What kind of trail surface?
Rocky, sandish, dry... TONS of climbing, fast descents.

The Nevegal looks like it would make a helluva rear tire. What do those things weigh? I'm running Maxxis Monorails right now.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hi,

I have a Conti Mountain King UST 2.2 that is 630 grams. Seems like a winner to me. Worked great on my first race with them. It's not ultra lite like the supersonics, but for a true UST tire it's fairly lite.

Rob

·
Registered
130 Posts
The new Racing Ralphs in 2,25 is fast enough and have a very nice bite. With low pressure they will add a few centimeters of suspension travel to your bike...

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
thetschappats said:
Here are two Tioga Red Phoenix Tire... a 1.8 and 1.9. They are UST and Sub 500 grams. I am running them tubeless, and I like them so far. They are very cheap at Cambria and I think Jenson or Nashbar.
The WORT tire I have used UST wise. grip sucked and they flatted every other ride.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts