Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Also posted on "Wheels and Tires" but thought this might be a better audience. sorry for the duplication.

Based on your opinion, $$$'s being no issue, what is the lightest, strongest tubeless wheel set (disc brakes), custom or not, you would have built for yourself. I define strongest as: not wearing out under regular use, staying true and durable. To be used for XC racing, training, full-time (bike is ridden maybe once maybe twice every month). No air or jumps or drops. Emphasis on Climbing. Downhills are taken carefully and not exceedingly fast. The terrain is Sounthern California, fireroads, some rock gardens, hard pack trails, some sand and loose stuff. No mud, and limited exposure to water. The wheels would be for a Santa Cruz Blur XC. The rider weighs 142 lbs.
Give me what you would get if you we're getting it free (remember money being no issue) based on the above parameters. Also what the wheel build would weigh and why you would choose that build, hub, rim etc.
And yes I'm going to buy wheels so thanks for the help! Look forward to replies, this should be very educational

·
mutaullyassuredsuffering
2,053 Posts
Stans

I've been running Stans rims for a couple years. They have been indestructable for me. Both the 355's and Olympics... I weigh 175lbs, and my buddy weighs 200lbs and we both have used them with DT revo's or Sapim CX-Rays and DT240's. 1400 grams with CL hub or 1450 with 6 bolt hub. The weight includes the Yellow Tape (works as the rim strip) and valve stems.

The yellow tape lasts a year or more and doesn't leak. With standard tires, which the rim is designed for, you can save alot of weight over other high end wheels XMAX, Race X Lites, XTR,s and UST's.

The three sets we collectively have had never come out of true even with Moab rides.....The key is a good builder doing the intital work.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I personally like Mavic's CrossmaxSLR solution. I like the "no fuss" tubeless, meaning they are true tubeless rims, not a "hack" with some fancy rimstrips. I run mine without any sealant and have only had 1 trail flat (a couple of road flats but damn glass throwers)

IIRC they are 1536 grams for the ISO version

·
RIDE TO LIVE
464 Posts
Stans 355's with DT 240's. Strong, light, bulletproof, tubeless......have them built by a knowledgable builder and you can forget about ever having to mess with them.

·
Registered
154 Posts
i've had two high end wheelsets in my time, Crossmax SL and Race XXXLite. Crossmaxes are absolutely awesome. They never went out of true and i beat on them severely for 4 years and they never went out of true.

The Race XXXLites have been verygood, but since i started using a training wheelset my race wheels don't see the daily action that they used to. my experience has been positive, though.

I'm very intrigued by the Stan's setup and might try them for my next purchase.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I bought the I9's and DT Swiss 4.2.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Ihave the same bike and weight about 10 pounds more then you do. when I built up my Blur XC , I wanted the best wheels possible, Daves Speedream Wheels. Read the write up's, these are the best wheels you can get ! I got Stans Rim, DT Swiss Hubs, and the weigh was right around 1,450 grams!! I live near Downieville and Tahoe and have NEVER had to true the wheels. They are light and bomb proof . Here is a pic

Attachments

·
Want to vent?
654 Posts
I made a set of 240s Centerlocks, with DT triple butted spokes/DT 15g nips and Stans ZTR Olympic rims...I am about the same weight and am running them on a santa cruz superlight.

I had zero problems last year, I ride and race them , and they still have not come out of true. Not to mention they are probably the lightest wheels I have ever built or had my hands on. :thumbsup:

Crossmax is great and all but when you work on your own stuff, standard materials is where its at... :D

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Merlin, I like DT Swiss. I currently have the Onyx the bike came with but I also have DT Swiss on my road bike. Good stuff. Which model DT hubs do you have and are the rims the 355? I can't tell by the picture.

thanks.

merlin said:
Ihave the same bike and weight about 10 pounds more then you do. when I built up my Blur XC , I wanted the best wheels possible, Daves Speedream Wheels. Read the write up's, these are the best wheels you can get ! I got Stans Rim, DT Swiss Hubs, and the weigh was right around 1,450 grams!! I live near Downieville and Tahoe and have NEVER had to true the wheels. They are light and bomb proof . Here is a pic

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
how much do they weigh?

jeffh said:
You should take a look at the Industry Nine ultralite with Stans ZTR 355 or the Newer Arch rim. I have been running them on my Niner and it is by far the nicest wheel set I've come across.

http://www.industrynine.net/official/ultralite.html

I have my eye on those. did you weigh them? do they really come in at 1410 grams?

how are they holding up?

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
oscarc said:
Merlin, I like DT Swiss. I currently have the Onyx the bike came with but I also have DT Swiss on my road bike. Good stuff. Which model DT hubs do you have and are the rims the 355? I can't tell by the picture.

thanks.
240 hubs on ZTR Olympic rims. I did not mention that I do all my riding not just racing on these wheels, never had to get them trued. Except when a kid hit me on dirt bike, but that another story :madman:

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks...

merlin said:
240 hubs on ZTR Olympic rims. I did not mention that I do all my riding not just racing on these wheels, never had to get them trued. Except when a kid hit me on dirt bike, but that another story :madman:

By the way, your bike is hot!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
oscarc said:
I have my eye on those. did you weigh them? do they really come in at 1410 grams?

how are they holding up?
Yes I think they will come in at 1410g

Mine are 29" SS and have been holding up very well, I have not weigh them, but the geared 29er are coming in under 1600g The wheels are very stiff and light. I don't think you can go wrong with them.

There tends to be a lot of information on the I9 wheels on the 29er Forum

·
Master of the Face Plant
2,901 Posts
I own 2 sets of wheels built by Dave Thomas at speeddreams.com. I cannot put into words how pleased and amazed at how awesome they have been. My first set was Stans ztr olympics on white hubs. I have had them for 3 years on 4 bikes and they have never come out of true. They have a few dents from my poor line choices and lack of finesse but they still hold air. My second set is a pair of 355's built on King hubs. They are incredibly stiff and light. The benifit of buying from Dave is service. If you trash a wheel send it back and he will rebuild it good as new. try getting a set of Crossmaxes rebuilt or replaced. Go custom, chances are you will spend less and trust me this guys wheels are incredible.

·
Master of the Face Plant
2,901 Posts
pingpop said:
Crossmax for me, rock gardens beware!

Crossmax's are excellent wheels. I am not a big fan of the scewers they use though. Mine had a tendency to loosen up, maybe just an isolated problem. I like them for the stiffness. The only thing I don't like is the need for special tools. For the price I have had better luck with custom wheels. You can get some older crossmax wheels pretty cheaply now though which make them more appealing. And then there's the bling factor.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I have used several wheelset's in the last few years. I've used Mavic crossmax XL & SL's...as well as Shimano XTR's. I did not like the SL and the XTR's, but had great luck with the Crossmax XL for everyday weekend riding. Without a doubt the best Wheels I have ridden are the Stans ZTR's with American racing hubs. They are the lightest and as strong and the XL's.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts