Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at 29ers but want something super light. I may get a hardtail, however if I can get something really light then I may go full suspension. 80-100mm range. I am sure there are lots of opinions on the subject.

What are the lightest 29er full suspension frames? Weight?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I believe the lightest current full suspension mtn bike frameset is the Superfly 100 SL weighing under 2000 grams with rear shock, so roughly well under 1800 without shock.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Think that minimum travel for FS is 100mm, but questions need answering..
- Whats your budget?
I want something good and light but cost effective.

- Whats your riding style?
I am an enduro guy and much more downhill oriented but injuries are making me want to do more XC. However, not giving up downhill because I still have an enduro bike.

- Whats your terrain?
Mostly technical downhill but gonna start riding XC type trails for fitness.
- Build or buy?
Definitely build.

- Pure race bike or all arounder (meaning usage)?
More race oriented.
Yeah, I think you are right. 100mm is probably the minimum.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
Is there any particular reason you are looking at carbon? Just know that a carbon frame is going to be a bit more spendy than an aluminum frame however the Chinese Carbons (see the thread in here) can be had at a decent price (think around $900) sans rear shock.
Conversely, I have seen the Hobgoblin frame from Airborne pop up on the advertisements here on the board for around $900 (with shock) or there is the Hammerhead Thumper closeout (just picked one up myself) that has the geo that you are somewhat looking for for $750 (with shock).

If you truly want to keep your AM/Enduro riding style then I think that you would be better suited with a fs than a ht. I have a steel 29er right now and while I love the bike I feel just about every bump I go over (in the rear triangle) a carbon bike would absorb this more but how much is questionable.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
Tallboy 2 large with shock 4.9 pounds.
I think the specialized Epic is pretty light as well.

If I was choosing between an Epic, Tallboy, or Superfly, I would consider the ride characteristics, fit, and suspension performance to be way more important than a few grams of frame weight.

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
Look at Rocky Mountain 999RSL too. They can be built up under 23 pounds. That said - I LOVE my 2012 Trek Superfly 100 Pro.....full SRAM XX.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Another light one is the Canyon Lux CF 29er:
4,01 pounds (1,82kg in normal systems ;) )
Canyon | Mountainbikes | Lux CF 29 Frameset

Bike can also be bought built up, lightest one being 22,6 pounds:
Canyon | Mountainbikes | Lux CF 29 9.9 TEAM

Test-rode one, it's pretty OK, though I like the Superyfly more because it felt to be better in corners. Climbs, descends, corners, straights and everything are good on the Lux though, almost no bobbing compared to the Superfly where I really noticed it.
Also rode an Epic which felt amazing, I think the weight is the least of your concern when you are buying a carbon bike. I think the way a bike feels is way more important.

The Lux is light and does everything well, but lacks character. The Superfly made me smile during corners but the Epic made me smile all the way, until the moment my heart couldn't keep up (First time I experienced the 'this thing wants to go fast' saying in real life, always found it to be a stupid expression).

I think smilinsteve hit the spot saying:
If I was choosing between an Epic, Tallboy, or Superfly, I would consider the ride characteristics, fit, and suspension performance to be way more important than a few grams of frame weight.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
It's cool to want a light FS bike. However, make sure you go with one that has a track record for durability. I have a few friends that had the Trek Superfly's and each cracked them. Yeah they are under warranty but it sucks to have to take it in to the shop, get it torn down then get it rebuilt. THis takes usually 10 days minimum is the fastest I have seen and they don't pay for the rebuild and tear down. I don't know anyone with a Scalpel, which is next to lightest recommended here, but I have seen them on MTBR cracked as well. For durability and very light, I would recommend the Tallboy 2 and the Scott Spark.

I realize they are carbon and can crack, but these are bikes that you don't hear of cracking frames very much at all. SC has a good rep when it comes to durable carbon frames, which keeps you out of the shops with warranty issues. It all comes down to what you have tested and feels best to suit your needs as well.

·
Happy Trails
1,190 Posts
My size large Cannondale Scalpel with beefy 2.2 inch tires, up-sized 180mm front rotor, pedals and cages is 22 pounds-10 ounces. That's hard tail territory. Ride quality? This bike is as close to perfect as I ever need to be.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts