Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tippster said:
Depending on your weight and riding style, take a look at Schmolke CF bars 65 - 90g
I'm a heavier rider and aggresive too, that's why i was asking about the strength of the handlebars as well. I feel that the titec would probably be a better bet for me. How about seatposts? Which seatpost is the lightest non-CF?

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
There is a klein stratum 90 on ebay right now. Mine came in at 93g and they are storng as heck. Only problem is that the last two stratum 90s that just sold on ebay sold for 150-160$ a piece. But those were new in packages.

·
Registered
110 Posts
A friend of mine races 24 hour events. He weighs approx 200lbs.

He runs a Pace RC300 F1 with:
Easton monkeylite bar CF.
USE Alien carbon post 25mm with a shim.

CF doesn't mean weak, if it is made well.
I know the post he is running he has had for 3 years. One of the older (supposedly weaker) USE posts.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Tippster said:
A friend of mine races 24 hour events. He weighs approx 200lbs.

He runs a Pace RC300 F1 with:
Easton monkeylite bar CF.
USE Alien carbon post 25mm with a shim.

CF doesn't mean weak, if it is made well.
I know the post he is running he has had for 3 years. One of the older (supposedly weaker) USE posts.
Monkeylite is a riser bar but the EC90 easton carbon bar is very strong DON"T USE BARENDS and incredibly light

·
Registered
118 Posts
TheRedMantra said:
There is a klein stratum 90 on ebay right now. Mine came in at 93g and they are storng as heck. Only problem is that the last two stratum 90s that just sold on ebay sold for 150-160$ a piece. But those were new in packages.
Man, I've been too busy to post here recently, but strong as heck does not describe the Stratums. I snapped mine during a short track race coming off a small bump. Granted, they did snap at the brake lever, but I under torqued the aluminum brake lever bolts with a torque wrench to abou 30 in lb and there is no torque spec listed on the bar, so there is very little I could do. Also, Bontrager did replace them immediately free of charge (AWESOME CUST. SERVICE!) with a 31.8mm XXX light bar and stem, so that seems to be an acknowlegdement of fault.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dcm311 said:
Man, I've been too busy to post here recently, but strong as heck does not describe the Stratums. I snapped mine during a short track race coming off a small bump. Granted, they did snap at the brake lever, but I under torqued the aluminum brake lever bolts with a torque wrench to abou 30 in lb and there is no torque spec listed on the bar, so there is very little I could do. Also, Bontrager did replace them immediately free of charge (AWESOME CUST. SERVICE!) with a 31.8mm XXX light bar and stem, so that seems to be an acknowlegdement of fault.
yea. wasn't even considering the klein though haha. vintage stuff for 170 bucks., not me. um. the XXX lite bar is a bit heavy at 145. but the stem is sooo sweet. i think i'll probably go for the EC90SL or the Titec 118 Ti.. Any recommendations on seatpost though? My fallback option will be the good ol thomson! i really need a strong one on there.

·
Registered
118 Posts
synkronized23 said:
yea. wasn't even considering the klein though haha. vintage stuff for 170 bucks., not me. um. the XXX lite bar is a bit heavy at 145. but the stem is sooo sweet. i think i'll probably go for the EC90SL or the Titec 118 Ti.. Any recommendations on seatpost though? My fallback option will be the good ol thomson! i really need a strong one on there.
Go USE. Basically every nice aluminum seatpost has a similar shaft with different methods to clamp the saddle. I have a USE aluminum that's ~190g for a 31.6mm x 420mm post and it's stiff and bomb proof. I would not reccomend the USE carbon post because in a mountain bike length there is probably two inches of deflection at the saddle when weighted.
The XXX bar weighed 143g and the stem was 160g. Not light at all, but the price was right and I didn't have another 26mm bar to go with my Syntace F99 stem. BTW, I bought my Stratum 90 for $35 and it weighed exactly 90g.

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
dcm311 said:
Um, the torque might not have been the problem. Max lever shifter torque for the bar is 70in lb and 120 for the stem. Maybe the levers were a bit sharp like some pauls and sliced into it. And strength tests have shown that the stratusm are pretty freaking strong. I dont have any links to anything but will check around and get back to you on it. I have talked to people who have ridden them for years with no problems whatsoever. The only problems I have heard of are sharp lever clamps and people who used bar ends and crashed. I have never heard of a bar just plain snapping out of the blue (not to say that it never happened as any bike part can have manufacturer defects).

·
Registered
118 Posts
TheRedMantra said:
Um, the torque might not have been the problem. Max lever shifter torque for the bar is 70in lb and 120 for the stem. Maybe the levers were a bit sharp like some pauls and sliced into it. And strength tests have shown that the stratusm are pretty freaking strong. I dont have any links to anything but will check around and get back to you on it. I have talked to people who have ridden them for years with no problems whatsoever. The only problems I have heard of are sharp lever clamps and people who used bar ends and crashed. I have never heard of a bar just plain snapping out of the blue (not to say that it never happened as any bike part can have manufacturer defects).
Well, this one for sure just snapped out of the blue and drove my face into the ground with it. I was running Kooka levers and I used a razor to dull the edges anyway. The fact that Bonty replaced it without question may just confirm that it was a manufacturing defect. I would run these bars again if i could get a pair for cheap.

·
Registered
907 Posts
synkronized23 said:
The Titec 118 weighs 145g.

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
dcm311 said:
Well, this one for sure just snapped out of the blue and drove my face into the ground with it. I was running Kooka levers and I used a razor to dull the edges anyway. The fact that Bonty replaced it without question may just confirm that it was a manufacturing defect. I would run these bars again if i could get a pair for cheap.
Eh, I guess it wasnt the levers then. I have never heard of just pain out of no where breaking untill now. I guess it had to happen a few times.

·
Registered
219 Posts
MaxM!

I have the MaxM MX-1 carbon flat bar and it's supposed to be super strong, and it's quite light at a claimed 105g, with weights confirmed around 117.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts