Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some opinions on bikes to look at other then the gary fischer superfly 100. Give me your opinion on the best full suspension xc racing 29er.

·
Registered
446 Posts
makppm said:
Looking for some opinions on bikes to look at other then the gary fischer superfly 100. Give me your opinion on the best full suspension xc racing 29er.
What about the Fisher don't you like? I'm not trying to be antagonistic, just trying to figure out what you're after and what doesn't do it for you about the SF100.

That said, the JET9 would be another one to consider.

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
A 2010 Fisher HiFi built with the same parts as a Superfly 100 will be within a pound or so I'd bet. Same suspension, geometry etc. Of course there are probably not complete HiFi's with the same parts spec so it will be heavier still because of that.

G

·
Brant-C.
1,072 Posts
if you want the lightest/fastest that is about the price range for any brand unless you spec it yourself; maybe you can save.

the way i see it, all the frame manufacturers are going to have a very nice frame to offer.

they will all have there benefits and idiosyncrasies.

i would test ride as many as time permits and there are demos at bike shops.

my $.02

·
Your Best Friend
5,229 Posts
I'll say it...If you aren't willing to spend 5K you shouldn't be asking for the "lightest fastest full suspension 29er (xc racing)".

The GF Superfly 100 would fit that bill the best.

The Specialized Epic (or marathon) 29er is rather heavy for the intended purpose and you'll still be over 5k for a final build (new).

The Jet 9 (and I'll get seriously flamed for this) doesn't exist. Not yet anyway. Most of the previous Jet 9's have been recalled and the '10 hasn't been released yet or at least raced so saying it is a top performer is only a guess. Although in all likelihood it will be a great race bike. However, You are still around 5K for a nice light XC bike. You could try to pick up a used one that fell outside of the recall. That would be a nice bike for you and within budget.

You could go for a SC Tallboy but again, well over 5K.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great information. I was looking to stay in the 3500-4500 range. If I am going to go over 5k just wanted to know all of the superfly 100's direct competitors as that is the only one I have ridden in that "class"

·
Ride and Smile suckas
593 Posts
Foes B-29 seems like it may be an option. I have not seen nor ridden one yet but I really think it will be good because i have liked their under-rated 26 inch bikes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
it looks like the b-29 only comes in two sizes. I am close to 6'5 so not sure that one would work for me but a great suggerstion for others who are interested in this type of bike.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
beastwood9 said:
how dead set are on FS? Moving to a HT would help your budget/bike weight...
I plan on having two wheelsets for the bike (one for racing XC and one more all purpose.) I am thinking I will also likely use the bike for some enduro riding as well as a small amount of all mountain which is why I have been thinking FS. It will mainly be used for xc but would like it to be a little versatile for that price.

·
Student of the Bike
779 Posts
The Titus Racer X makes an awfully nice race bike. They are no longer made and will be replaced by a longer (100mm) travel "Rockstar" which I'm guess will be a good race bike too.

Later,
CJB

1 - 20 of 47 Posts