Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious, what are the lightest disc brakes out on the market right now? I currently have Shimano XT's and was wondering what kid of weight I could save on possible lighter brakes?

I appreciate any info you can provide - thank you:)

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
R1

Shown my set of my Winterbike. That's with aluminium lever blades and with steel rotors (no weak aluminiums)- Carbon blades save about 9g if i remember and some fancy discs could save about 30g in the front and maybe 20g in the rear.

Awesome power and so far very reliable. I had to put a 140 in the rear as the stock 160 was almost too powerful.Too grabby.The 140 now provides the same power but with less agressive initial bite.

On my other bike i have the carbon levers and also a ca. 10g lighter IS adapter for the rear.

Attachments

·
Registered
410 Posts
Hope Race X2! And those don't need maintenance every ride...

·
Registered
157 Posts
FRM (Crap) Formula R1 (Awesome) Formula The One (Awesome) Hope (Good) Hygia Usagi (If you are on a budget).

·
just ride
760 Posts
I currently have v-brakes on my bike and looking into hydraulic disc brakes but i'm not sure what comes with the kit or whatelse I need with the kit.

For this kit, what else do I need to buy?
R1

How about for this?
XTR

Greatly appreciated!

·
ups and downs
15,592 Posts
Both of those kits don't include the rotors, the R1 kit doesn't include the caliper adapters either.

And of course you also need to make sure you have disc compatible hubs in your wheels (or a new wheelset) and a frame/fork with suitable disc mounts.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Those look really great, can't wait for a ride report....:D
How thick are they ?

·
Registered
51 Posts
R1 vs RX

The R1 uses alloy hardware and alloy backing plates for the brake pads. If these same upgrades were added to the RX model, how close in weight would the RX and R1 be? Also the RX is cast instead of forged. Is there a difference in the brake lines?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts