Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
El Toro
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi ...since I don't believe in another BB system but traditional Square Taper [for ever!!] ...and don't believe in another material but aluminum (at least for off-road use) I'm currently using a Deore M510 square taper arms (450 gr.). These are medium range stuff and I'd prefer something more exclusive... but I REALLY DON'T KNOW ANY LIGHTER with the above specs... (also, must be 4 bolts standard 104-64mm bcd)

the question is: DO YOU KNOW any lighter?

Thanks in advance.

·
Custom User Title
7,430 Posts
palmix said:
Hi ...since I don't believe in another BB system but traditional Square Taper [for ever!!]
Never thought that is a question of belief... My external bearings cranks look quite real, stiff and beyond a reasonable doubt of actually existing to me... :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm riding a 1998 Raleigh M400 bike that weighs around 24lbs and am running a square taper crank. The only thing stock on the bike is the frame and yes I still have some retro stuff. Tech is great but in the end it's all about the skill of the rider.

My other Bike(s) are a 2005 Raleigh Team Inferno and a 2001 GT I Drive but I still ride the M400 frame over 50% of the time.

I guess the guy was asking for help...not a lesson in engineering.

Mr. Scary said:
I don't believe the statements that I have just read, nothing like ignoring basic engineering principles (such as surface contact with a splined system).
Hope you are still on a 15 yr. old steel 30 lb. hardtail as well. Technology is passing you by, but you are so retro chic... I am assuming you typed this on your Commodore 64.

·
Registered
61 Posts
something like this maybe?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-Middleburn...ryZ56193QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

palmix said:
Hi ...since I don't believe in another BB system but traditional Square Taper [for ever!!] ...and don't believe in another material but aluminum (at least for off-road use) I'm currently using a Deore M510 square taper arms (450 gr.). These are medium range stuff and I'd prefer something more exclusive... but I REALLY DON'T KNOW ANY LIGHTER with the above specs... (also, must be 4 bolts standard 104-64mm bcd)

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
palmix said:

Thanks in advance.
maybe not lighter, but defintely a step up:
http://www.middleburn.co.uk/rs8.htm
434g with 5-arm spider, 454g with 4 arm spider (estimated wt, from website, weight weenies says they come in around 480, heavier, but def. more bling)

for even more bling, try tune bigfoot, fastfoot, but be prepared to pay... and to make all the naysayers drool, pair these puppies with a phil wood ti bb, some light chainrings and bolts and you can have a crankset (with bb) under 800g.
http://www.poshbikes.com/cat.php?cranks

if your not totally dedicated to 4 bolt chainrings, according to weightweenies, the older raceface next lp square tapers were between 400 and 425g pretty light and much less (if you can find 'em) money

·
Registered
601 Posts
Mr. Scary said:
I don't believe the statements that I have just read, nothing like ignoring basic engineering principles (such as surface contact with a splined system).
Hope you are still on a 15 yr. old steel 30 lb. hardtail as well. Technology is passing you by, but you are so retro chic... I am assuming you typed this on your Commodore 64.
What basic engineering principles is he ignoring? What is this splined system surface contact?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have no idea what he speaks when he says splined system surface contact. He should see my road bike. barends and a traditional BB with sugino crank and elliptoid rings! I guess I need to throw those parts away!

Boj said:
What basic engineering principles is he ignoring? What is this splined system surface contact?

·
Registered
61 Posts
did you see that ebay link? That setup is pretty light. Are you sure those deore arms are that light? I have the advantage of certified calibrated balances to weigh things at work.

palmix said:
thanks for the replies!! ...but... Middelburn are simply heavier, and Tune have only five arms spider (and a bit ugly for me...)

Seguiremos buscando!

·
El Toro
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rutnick said:
did you see that ebay link? That setup is pretty light. Are you sure those deore arms are that light? I have the advantage of certified calibrated balances to weigh things at work.
yes, Deore cranks weigh 450 grs. They comes with heavy rings (middle and small in steel) but I use T.A. 36 t. and FSA 22. (2x9 drive train) and it is a very light combo...

Middelburn, according to this page:

http://www.middleburn.co.uk/crankweights.htm

weighs 474 grm. (sq. tp./RS8/4arm)

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
I guess "ignoring basic engineering principles" works for Campy!!

and what, 85% of the Pro Tour Field? Sure you ride what your sponsors give ya...
But you don't think Campagnolo is up today's engineering principles? :rolleyes:

I sure the Top Sprinters of today (Petacchi) and yesteryear (Cipollini) miss those "basic engineering principles."

Yes splined and outboard bb in tests and real world are stiffer, but SqTaper is a proven and reilable ignoring engineering when it comes to BB.

·
El Toro
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Boj said:
Extralite Fishbones, from my recollection, are relatively inexpensive, lightweight and 4-arm.
Yes...!! about the same weigh than Deore (454 gr/1 lb.)

They were sold at http://www.shockbike.com/ (Italy) but now are out of stock . It is posible to buy them anywhere?

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
Correct on campy...

No, but it supports fine enough for pros. That is what I was gettting too.

mario can do it with both old and new technology :D so can palmix...

It may not be that Bill gates was wrong, but he keep making the market keep up with him to keep his sales going....

·
Custom User Title
7,430 Posts
DIRT BOY said:
No, but it supports fine enough for pros. That is what I was gettting too.

mario can do it with both old and new technology :D so can palmix...

It may not be that Bill gates was wrong, but he keep making the market keep up with him to keep his sales going....
This is quite offtopic for the thread, but personally, I think the biggest advantage of integrated systems is usability. Never, ever again will I bother with pulling and reinstalling square tapers. 85% of the tour have mechanics to do that for them - and they do not hack their bike off things... :D

·
On your left.
1,188 Posts
the answer is NO

Next LP arms are about 410g and Turbine arms are 425g (neither available in 4-arm as far as I know) so 450g for your Deore is quite good. Assuming 150g for the BB and 150g for rings plus 20g for bolts, etc you are at 770g total which is better than XTR and very difficult to beat. I think you should buy lighter shoes instead.

palmix said:

Thanks in advance.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.