Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking for some suggestions for new lighter cranks for aggressive trail use. Currently running NX and have upgraded most everything else. Not looking to break the bank so I guess carbon is out. TIA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
134 Posts
Recently ran into this issue, went with the gx crank with dub for $220 with shop installation. Better material over the nx, but if that isn't an issue get the nx for a tad bit cheaper

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
high pivot witchcraft
6,178 Posts
Another vote for the RF Turbine. I have 2 sets. Strong and stiff AF. Light. Relatively inexpensive. Part of mountain biking history. Solid trail karma. Looks awesome.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
No contest:

Cannondale SiSL.

I have four sets. Never paid more than $200.
You've recommended them before, and I keep an eye out... but they're often well past $400, used.
Just picked up a set of SI Hollowgram arms for $145... off of a Super Six and installed on my Fat Caad

Bicycle accessory Bicycle part Bicycle Bicycle frame Bicycle drivetrain part

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,827 Posts
+1 Shimano SLX or XT cranks. Not sure what they weigh but probably the best value crankset available. I have them on most of my bikes.

·
Formerly of Kent
13,153 Posts
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu why can't those go away? Must resist......Somebody buy these.
I know. I'm thinking about buying them just to have around "just in case...".

Then I remember I have four sets and one set is hanging on the wall.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not super knowledgeable on compatibility of cranksets. I currently have NX Eagle crankset on a boost bike which has the DUB spindle.
Would something like these xx1 be compatible without a bb swap with a huge hassle and do I also need to find something with a 148 Q factor? Thanks

SRAM XX1 BB30 Crankset DM X-Sync 32T 170mm Q-Factor 156mm Black https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/273813984456

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
there is the Hollowgram si and the sisl. the latter is clamshell/machined iirc a wee bit lighter and expensive. the former is hollow forged and a wee it heavier and relatively cheap. there is also a considerably cheaper non hollow crank can't remember the proper nomenclature. the si is a great option! wolf tooth and absolute black and one up do rings in various configurations for it. I use it on several bikes and on others the raceme next sl. the difference is about 20-30g iirc.

·
Registered
317 Posts
With 30mm axle and tiny bearings those Turbines aren't the most reliable ones, IMHO. Also, I had on mine the crank bolts coming loose causing some nasty creak.

I'd vote for Shimano XT or maybe SLX. The HT2 has 24mm axle with proper size bearings and seals, also the tightening mechanism is bombproof, those are also fairly inexpensive and easily available on many places...

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,827 Posts
With 30mm axle and tiny bearings those Turbines aren't the most reliable ones, IMHO. Also, I had on mine the crank bolts coming loose causing some nasty creak.
Since we don't know what BB is being used the bearing size is not the question. The Raceface BB's suck, I think we all know that by now. There are good options from Wheels Manufacturing, Hope, RWC, etc. that won't die an early death like RF.

Abec 5 angular contact bearings have proven quite durable.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.