Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using Kona Wah Wahs I was wondering if there is anything lighter & is just as good if not better out there.

·
AKA; Jimmy Tango
804 Posts
Wow, wah-wahs are your benchmark? Not hard to suggest a better pedal. I don't know the weight of the wah-wahs, and pedal weight should not be deal breaker, they're pedals, not wheels, tires, or other heavy noticable parts. The first pedal I am posting is an NYC Gloryhole, my personal fav. In the sec pic you can see it compared to an easton and a shimano dx(good, but small). Its about a 150grams heavier than my first runner-up. The other pedal is the, Twenty6 Componets Rallye pedals. To each their own, pedals are a personal thing, I have tried the wah-wahs, and thought they were beat. The spindle was noticable, like standing on a speed-bump, very similiar to those new Diety pedals. Thats my 2 cents.
PS, I don't wear 5-10 shoes, just reg, plainjane skate shoes.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
I am quite happe with Wellgo MG-1s, and I think they are lighter, especially with Ti spindle. Relatively cheap, and some bright colors available. With proper shoes they hold just fine.

·
Registered
243 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
marktomin said:
wow they are super light and average priced!
yep, i paid about $80 when i got them, so thats a great price. They are also insanely strong, i have put them threw the ringers and remain completely true and somehow they have not even chipped....amazing platforms, best i've ever used by a huge margin.

I'll snap a few pics of them on my bike later, the flat studs (not pictured) are incredible, combine them with some waffle pattern skate shoes and they almost lock in like clipless, seriously amazing.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
gop427 said:
Wow, wah-wahs are your benchmark? Not hard to suggest a better pedal. I don't know the weight of the wah-wahs, and pedal weight should not be deal breaker, they're pedals, not wheels, tires, or other heavy noticable parts. The first pedal I am posting is an NYC Gloryhole, my personal fav. In the sec pic you can see it compared to an easton and a shimano dx(good, but small). Its about a 150grams heavier than my first runner-up. The other pedal is the, Twenty6 Componets Rallye pedals. To each their own, pedals are a personal thing, I have tried the wah-wahs, and thought they were beat. The spindle was noticable, like standing on a speed-bump, very similiar to those new Diety pedals. Thats my 2 cents.
PS, I don't wear 5-10 shoes, just reg, plainjane skate shoes.
OOOkay, and this advice is coming from a guy who doesn't own 5.10's but has an opinion of them (too sticky and clunky) in the "for all of you who prefer flat pedals" thread?!

Wah wahs and their sister pedal - Diety Decoy are among the best pedals out there. Their thinner design provide more control by lowering your c of g and giving you more clearance. I've tried a lot of pedals and there's NO comparison!

synnie - you might like the Decoy's better, slightly better built/pin design but probably not worth swapping unless you have jingo burning a hole in your pocket. In the future, I would suggest posting on the DH/FR forum for far more knowledgable advice for DH/FR related components.

Have FUN!

G MAN

PS - Easton Flatboys for sale ;) !

·
Registered
85 Posts
here's a couple pics of the tioga surefoot 8's on my bike...with the flat studs in now. The spikey studs are a bit overkill, plus not fun to bash your shins on. I friggin love these things!!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
You could get DMR V12 Magnesiums then upgrade the axles to the the Ti axles but which would be very light but very expensive. End weight will be 354g for the pair.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi. I have no experience on the Tioga's but have been happy with the Wellgo MG-1 (only about 5 rides with em so far). Before them I had the Wellgo B25 which is about half the price of the MG-1, still pretty light compared to most platforms, and gripped really well like the MG-1. Not sure how strong they are because I haven't hit them on a rock yet but they did well downhilling and I'm anything but smooth.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Oh, I forgot to add. I use my MG-1s and B25s with either cheapo skate shoes from Payless ($20), or with regular old trail running sneakers and never worry about slipping off. However, my friend uses the B25, loves them, but has slipped off a couple times and gouged his leg.

·
Registered
141 Posts
well me thinks...

you can go light....sub 300 grams.

Me I love flats and will ride the specialized low pros at twice + that weight.
they really do rock, have a dished shape that connects you to the bike are
Bomb proof, and you can replace the pin from the bottom instead of drilling them out.

Lots of choices out there

Attachments

·
AKA; Jimmy Tango
804 Posts
Gman086 said:
OOOkay, and this advice is coming from a guy who doesn't own 5.10's but has an opinion of them (too sticky and clunky) in the "for all of you who prefer flat pedals" thread?!

Wah wahs and their sister pedal - Diety Decoy are among the best pedals out there. Their thinner design provide more control by lowering your c of g and giving you more clearance. I've tried a lot of pedals and there's NO comparison!

synnie - you might like the Decoy's better, slightly better built/pin design but probably not worth swapping unless you have jingo burning a hole in your pocket. In the future, I would suggest posting on the DH/FR forum for far more knowledgable advice for DH/FR related components.

Have FUN!

G MAN

PS - Easton Flatboys for sale ;) !
Let me clarify, I have tried 510s, but don't use them, because they are too grippy and CLUNKY. I would sooner purchase a good set of pedals, and wear the shoes I already wear than buy those slabs of rubber to make up for a mediocre set of pedals.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts