Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think is a good weight for a full suspension aluminum bike. Which brands do you recommend. Looking for alternatives for downcountry type rides - 120 mm travel.

·
Registered
179 Posts
My 2021 aluminum Top Fuel is 26.7 without pedals. That's a large with a 170 dropper. That seemed good to me since isn't wasn't very cheap to get to that weight. I don't really love the bike though. I'll probably sell it soon. I find for my steep trails, the slack seat tube angle negates a lot of the low weight/short travel benefit. I have a 140/140 Orbea Occam with a 77 degree seat tube angle and the difference between the two in climbing is not dramatic. The new Element looks interesting to me. Pretty long and slack though.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My 2021 aluminum Top Fuel is 26.7 without pedals. That's a large with a 170 dropper. That seemed good to me since isn't wasn't very cheap to get to that weight. I don't really love the bike though. I'll probably sell it soon. I find for my steep trails, the slack seat tube angle negates a lot of the low weight/short travel benefit. I have a 140/140 Orbea Occam with a 77 degree seat tube angle and the difference between the two in climbing is not dramatic. The new Element looks interesting to me. Pretty long and slack though.
What have you done to your Top Fuel to get the weight down that much?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
179 Posts
What have you done to your Top Fuel to get the weight down that much?

Oh let's see. Sid ultimate, Reynolds carbon wheels, next sl cranks, KS lev carbon dropper, carbon saddle, next carbon bars, formula brakes and rotors that are lightish, xtr 12 speed cassette. I just bought the frame and added these parts I'd been collecting over time.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,999 Posts
What do you think is a good weight for a full suspension aluminum bike. Which brands do you recommend. Looking for alternatives for downcountry type rides - 120 mm travel.
About three.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2018 Epic Comp weight around 25 stock when i got it late 2017.
Now with dropper, wider handlebar, Sid Ultimate 120mm fork, Monarch rear, wider wheels and tires the weight is still around 25 without any carbon
My wife's carbon HT i actually heavier, but I will never tell her :)

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
17,980 Posts
Those stainless M8 bolts add up.
Holy smoke I guess so. My AF '18 Smash weighs 36#.
No carbon in sight, no ti, either. Coil -- yes (11.6).
But whoa... under 30# for an aluminum Smash... that's pretty amazing right there. Well done, milehi.
=sParty

·
always licking the glass
4,428 Posts
Holy smoke I guess so. My AF '18 Smash weighs 36#.
No carbon in sight, no ti, either. Coil -- yes (11.6).
But whoa... under 30# for an aluminum Smash... that's pretty amazing right there. Well done, milehi.
=sParty
I think the lightest i got my AL megatrail was 32 lbs. That was with carbon rims and air suspension. Neither of which i ever want to do again :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2018 Epic Comp weight around 25 stock when i got it late 2017.
Now with dropper, wider handlebar, Sid Ultimate 120mm fork, Monarch rear, wider wheels and tires the weight is still around 25 without any carbon
My wife's carbon HT i actually heavier, but I will never tell her :)
Sorry - i have to correct my self - my epic weight 12.5 kg = 27.6 lb

·
Registered
796 Posts
I had an aluminum Giant Trance that weighed 31lbs without a lick of carbon on it. Pretty light in comparison to some of the more modern full carbon enduro bikes that weigh 34+lbs
Same. The last time I weighed my '16 Giant Trance SX medium, it was around 30 lbs. Only light parts was the X01 drive train.

For comparison, current carbon Santa Cruz 5010s now weighs 29.75 to 31 lbs.

30 is the new 27.

·
Registered
821 Posts
In my experience in size Medium frames, about 31lbs give or take a lbs is a very doable build for an aluminum frame bike without any crazy light parts and using ~900 gram tires and aluminum rims. Outside of the obvious target of wheels and tires: cranks, cheap droppers, and all steel cassettes can be a pretty hefty chunk of weight on cheaper aluminum frame builds. Carbon rims and bars, light casing tires, light weight fork, cassettes with aluminum large cogs can push that aluminum bike less than 30lbs. Swap to a carbon frame and that bike is now 27-28lbs instead of 29lbs. I'd say anything sub 30lbs is light weight territory for an aluminum build.

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
In my experience in size Medium frames, about 31lbs give or take a lbs is a very doable build for an aluminum frame bike without any crazy light parts and using ~900 gram tires and aluminum rims. Outside of the obvious target of wheels and tires: cranks, cheap droppers, and all steel cassettes can be a pretty hefty chunk of weight on cheaper aluminum frame builds. Carbon rims and bars, light casing tires, light weight fork, cassettes with aluminum large cogs can push that aluminum bike less than 30lbs. Swap to a carbon frame and that bike is now 27-28lbs instead of 29lbs. I'd say anything sub 30lbs is light weight territory for an aluminum build.
30 pounds for a lightweight downcountry bike? Seems pretty heavy to me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.