Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, what's Lightest 7" double crown fork on the market right now?

I know the lightest will be air, but if anyone knows of the lightest coil as well...

I could even go for an older fork - '04 or '05.

Thanks!

·
carpe mañana
7,307 Posts
How about a single crown? 5.6lb 66SL in 170mm flavor. Boxxer Air is probably the lightest double clamp, or Fox 40.

_MK

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MK_ said:
How about a single crown? 5.6lb 66SL in 170mm flavor. Boxxer Air is probably the lightest double clamp, or Fox 40.

_MK
Yeah, the 66 is exactly what I've been set on! I ask about doubles because a friend was really strongly suggesting them for their ridgidity. He stated that the new doubles are coming in around 6 lbs. ???

Beyond weight, I like the freedom to turn my bars...

Just seeing what's out there.

Thanks!

·
carpe mañana
7,307 Posts
2006 Boxxer World Cup is claimed to be under 6.1lbs (air). Boxxer team is 6.8 (claimed, coil). Fox40 is claimed to be 6.8. Are you gonna be trail riding at all or just downhilling?

_MK

·
Registered
14 Posts
Rollin'in'Zona said:
Hey all, what's Lightest 7" double crown fork on the market right now?

I know the lightest will be air, but if anyone knows of the lightest coil as well...

I could even go for an older fork - '04 or '05.

Thanks!
The 2006 White Brothers Groove Race is 5.65 lbs.180mm.
Rebound, Compression, air preload with self regulating neg spring.

·
Registered
104 Posts
You dont need to worry about the ridgidness of the 66, its proven to be stronger than some DC's. Another fork you can look at is a Stratos 6o7, its about a pound heavier than a Boxxer Team but its really a non-issue, you dont even notice the extra pound. Check the product reviews for the 6o7, there all excellent, unfortunately theres only reveiws for the 2003 model but the fork hasent changed much, just minor tweaks.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
original plan - 'zcchi 66 RC2X or 66 Light ETA

MK_ said:
2006 Boxxer World Cup is claimed to be under 6.1lbs (air). Boxxer team is 6.8 (claimed, coil). Fox40 is claimed to be 6.8. Are you gonna be trail riding at all or just downhilling?

_MK
Cool - thanks for the info. I'm gonna stick with my original plan - the 'zcchi 66 RC2X or 66 Light ETA. There was an RC2X sitting on the bench @ my lbs last night (damn, why white?)... :rolleyes:

This is an agressive trail / med FR bike, not a DH sled. It now weighs 37lb 4 oz w/ a 150mm Z1. The friend who suggested the double crown has the same bike w/ a tripple clamp and it weighs 45lbs. That's not what I want.

As it is now, with the '05 Z1 FR1, I'm able to follow the triple clamp crowd on 95% of the DH/FR lines, I just have to go slower than they do - which does not bother me at all. With the 7" 66 RC2X, I should feel good enogh to do 99% of the lines.

I've been exploring this side of cycling for only a couple years, so my skills are improving drastically - I may not even need the 7" fork in six months... At 6x6, the bike is already too "big" for most "trail riding" outside of my home area and the handfull of "local" places I frequent.

Thanks again.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,774 Posts
MknzBikR said:
Check the product reviews for the 6o7, there all excellent, unfortunately theres only reveiws for the 2003 model but the fork hasent changed much, just minor tweaks.
Actually, it hasn't really changed since around 1998 when the chassi was introduced. Unfortunatly it weighs a lot more than comparable products, and due to lots of "bolt on" parts (especially the crown) it's significantly flexier than many current products on the market.

I've owned more than one stratos forks and had inconsistant reliability and experiences. I wouldn't advise anyone to get them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.