Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to build a new front wheel with a 20mm axle front hub but I am trying to not add any weight to the bike! I currently have a HUGI 240. Who has a really light, high-quality 20mm front hub?

Thanks

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Hope Bulb

Bulbs are nice light hubs with good quality bearings. The only unfortunate thing about them is the disc side is offset more than other hubs. On my bike I had to install spacer in betwen the fork and adapter in order for my brakes to work.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
The WTB, Chris King, DT, Hope, Hadley 20 mm hubs are all in the 185-215g range. The weights do not include the weight of the axle either. The weights go up from there. You are not going to find a 20 mm at the weight of the 240.

A 20 mm fork, axle and hub is going to be heavier.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
al-r said:
... The only unfortunate thing about them is the disc side is offset more than other hubs. On my bike I had to install spacer in betwen the fork and adapter in order for my brakes to work.
Was not an issue for me. The end caps are different lenghts. Are yours installed correctly?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
shiggy said:
The WTB, Chris King, DT, Hope, Hadley 20 mm hubs are all in the 185-215g range. The weights do not include the weight of the axle either. The weights go up from there. You are not going to find a 20 mm at the weight of the 240.

A 20 mm fork, axle and hub is going to be heavier.
Ouch, that is bad news :( I will go for the Chris King since I trust the quality.

Can anyone guess how much weight I will be adding by going with the CK 20mm set-up vs. my HUGI 240 + XTR Q/R?

Thanks

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
You have to tell us what fork you had, what 20mm fork you are going to, and if the spokes and rims will be the same. It is totally pointless for us to calculate (which you can just as easily do yourself using the weight weenies website or info posted online) the difference in hub weights when a LOT of other stuff is going to change when you switch wheels/forks.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tscheezy said:
You have to tell us what fork you had, what 20mm fork you are going to, and if the spokes and rims will be the same. It is totally pointless for us to calculate (which you can just as easily do yourself using the weight weenies website or info posted online) the difference in hub weights when a LOT of other stuff is going to change when you switch wheels/forks.
Point taken, sorry for not being more clear. I am going from a 2001 Fox Vanilla 125 to a new Pike 454 U-Turn. I think the forks are very close in weight so the penalty will be in the hub. My wheel build will remain the same (15g, 3 cross, 32H) so I *think* the only difference is the hub and axle?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Well, the claimed weight of an '05 Vanilla is 1810g.

Claimed weight for the Pike 454 U-turn 2108g and the Air U-turn 1947. I doubt if these include the "Maxle" weight. The axle/Maxle has to weight much more than a QR skewer.

·
Registered
365 Posts
shiggy said:
Was not an issue for me. The end caps are different lenghts. Are yours installed correctly?
Yeah, I checked that, but its obvious which way the caps go.

I posted this problem on the brakes forum and someone replied saying they had the exact same problem. he sent a memo to Hope and the company reply was that there is no standard for disc offset. They sugested shimming the rotor.

The problem on my bike was that I could not get the caliper in far enough thus my inner brake pad rubbed on the rotor. Possibly a combination of my forks, brake and hub causes this problem(psylo fork and Hayes G1 brakes.) But , I put the same setup on a Sherman fork and I still barely made it. I had to push the caliper in(towards the wheel as far as I could get move it on the bracket.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
The Maxle is 140g. A good front QR is roughly 50g. A King ISO 20mm is 195g. A Hope Bulb 20mm will be about 180g. Shiggy gave Pike weights above, but I think the old Vanillas weigh more than the new ones: on the order of 1930g.

G

·
i just got my brand new red King 20mm ISO hubs today. weight for front hub right out of the box is 209g. (rear is 302g)

the increase in stiffness from a Fox Talas to a Talas 36 is worth whatever weight penalty i have to pay.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
totally_fixxated said:
you are going 20mm for a reason, strength! some extra weight comes with that.

OBTW : Trust Hadley! :D
Good point, however I am not certain that I need the strength of the 20mm. I am 195lbs and do XC and all-mountain, but I have never had a problem with my HUGI Q/R front set-up. Am I really going to notice a big difference in steering precision, etc with the 20mm, even if I am nout doing 50mph or 12' drops?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
R332 said:
Good point, however I am not certain that I need the strength of the 20mm. I am 195lbs and do XC and all-mountain, but I have never had a problem with my HUGI Q/R front set-up. Am I really going to notice a big difference in steering precision, etc with the 20mm, even if I am nout doing 50mph or 12' drops?
Then why are you changing things?

I do think you will notice the difference in the fork stiffness/precision. I also doubt you will notice the extra ~150g. I know you will notice the difference in how you have to remove the front wheel (though the Maxle is one of the easiest through axle to use).

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
shiggy said:
Then why are you changing things?

I do think you will notice the difference in the fork stiffness/precision. I also doubt you will notice the extra ~150g. I know you will notice the difference in how you have to remove the front wheel (though the Maxle is one of the easiest through axle to use).
The reason for the change is I am going from my Fox 5" fork to a 6" fork and the one I am looking at (Pike) has the Maxle. The only 6" without a 20mm that fits my needs is the Nixon but thus far the reviews aren't very positive. I would but the Fox 36 in a heartbeat if it was available with a QR or Maxle style axle.

G

·
the fox lowers are designed the way they are to maximize the rigidity with 20mm axle. designs that i have looked at with a "quick release" through axle will be more stiff than a QR but they don't look to me like they can achieve the same stiffness as the Fox lowers. i had to fix a flat on the front of my bike today and it isn't tough to loosen four allen head screws to remove the axle.

·
Registered
365 Posts
mechmann_mtb said:
i just got my brand new red King 20mm ISO hubs today. weight for front hub right out of the box is 209g. (rear is 302g)

the increase in stiffness from a Fox Talas to a Talas 36 is worth whatever weight penalty i have to pay.
There is no way a King 20mm hub weighs 209 g. I think they are closer to 270 g

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
al-r said:
There is no way a King 20mm hub weighs 209 g. I think they are closer to 270 g
The claimed weight is 207g (does not include the through axle). CK is usually very accurate with their published weights. Every hub of theirs I have weighed has been within a few grams of claimed.

·
Registered
365 Posts
shiggy said:
The claimed weight is 207g (does not include the through axle). CK is usually very accurate with their published weights. Every hub of theirs I have weighed has been within a few grams of claimed.
oops my bad. :confused: did King changed the specs on their 20mm hub from their earlier version ? I was shopping for hubs last year and every website claimed a weight of around 270. At that weight and the fact the King hubs were over twice what a Bulb hub was made my choice easy.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.