Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I want 200mm rotors, SRAM only makes 2 piece rotors in 180mm

Most of Shimanos are only center lock

If both are 2 piece and using Ti bolts on the 6 bolt is centerlock lighter or 6 bolt?

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,025 Posts
Light and 200mm rotors are terms that should not be used together. That said, I have some 203 6-bolt ashimas, they are light, they also like to vibrate a bit under hard braking and do not shed heat well. They are in a winter fat bike and I should use smaller rotors for this application. Do not recommend. Get beefy or proper heat shedding 200mm rotors if you think you need rotors that big.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Light and 200mm rotors are terms that should not be used together. That said, I have some 203 6-bolt ashimas, they are light, they also like to vibrate a bit under hard braking and do not shed heat well. They are in a winter fat bike and I should use smaller rotors for this application. Do not recommend. Get beefy or proper heat shedding 200mm rotors if you think you need rotors that big.
Obviously they are going to be heavier than 160 or 180mm rotors, if you look at 180mm the lightest would be the SRAM 2 piece with Ti bolts, but for 200/203 there is nothing like that.

https://www.backcountry.com/shimano...MI7Iruht-76wIVEW-GCh12owCcEAQYASABEgJH8fD_BwE

This is all I could find

·
Registered
176 Posts
Generally there are more choices in 6-bolt and more lighter rotors in 6-bolt. In the 200mm size, the Ashimas are the lightest (2-piece floating). As mentioned they can vibrate somewhat. I use mine on a fatbike too. They get down to about 141g for the Ashima Flo-tor 200mm. I don't think there is much lighter than that. For a good one-piece rotor the Gafler are nice, and lighter than Sram, though they are about 15g heavier than their "spec" weight. 200mm Gafler are supposed to be 140g but are really 155g or so.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,025 Posts
My ashima 203 rotor says 136g on it.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts

If both are 2 piece and using Ti bolts on the 6 bolt is centerlock lighter or 6 bolt?
Remember to count everything when you compare 6 bolt vs centerlock. Disc, bolts vs locking ring, and hub. A centerlock hub is around 20-30 grams lighter, compensating for any weight difference in the disc you might get using a 6 bolt. And between a filmsy ashima 203 + 6 bolt and a Shimano XTR Ice tech centerlock I would pick Shimano any time.

·
I am Walt
6,281 Posts
On my SB130 LR, I’ve got Shimano XTR IceTech Freeza RT-MT900 203mm centerlock rotors front and rear. Stated weight, sans lockring, is 150g each, which is lighter than the SRAM Centerline 200mm rotors. Add 12-15g for the lockring, and they’re still lighter.

They’re pretty solid rotors, and BTW, I’ve got them paired with SRAM Code RSC brakes because those rotors are lighter and better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
623 Posts
Always go with a good quality rotor, light caliper. Not the other way around.
The lightest useful rotors should be something like Formula 2-piece or for example Trickstuff SL discs.

·
Registered
56 Posts

Centerlock hubs are generally lighter than 6-bolt hubs. Ultimately, you are not going to notice the 10-50g difference at the hub, but you may notice having a rotor that give feedback (to thin) or doesn't dissipate heat well (loss of power).

·
Registered
623 Posts
Centerlock won’t make the rotor any better or more silent.
Also, some of the best rotors only come in 6-hole pattern.
6-hole with titanium bolts or even a mix of titanium and aluminum should be at least as light (I must admit I never compared it 1:1 as there weren’t any interesting rotors available in both formats).

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro

1 - 11 of 11 Posts