Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this simple question:
A lighter fork will give the same feeling on weight loss like reducing somewhere else on the bike (or me) the same grams;
Right now on my recently built GT Avalanche 1.0 I have put on some good components like full Shimano SLX (shifters, crankset, both derailleurs), Avid Juicy 7s, Mavic XC717 rims with DTSwiss spokes and XT hubs, Ritchey seatpost and a RockShox Tora 318 coil U-Turn 85-130mm travel which is a nice fork and I like a lot the travel adjust feature. But the weight is a little on the high side with around 2260 grams.
If I switched on an air fork like a Reba or a Fox 100mm RLC which weigh around 1500 grams, this 750 grams saving is the same like leaving of my bag a bottle of water or the air fork's pump or simply save this weight on other bike parts;
I mean weight loss is simply weight loss or is there a different riding feeling from a lighter fork;
Let's not consider better performance of a better, costly fork than a budget one like my Tora.

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
thats a lot of weight right off the front of the bike. you'll feel the difference in balance.

2lbs off a fork feels a whole lot different than 2 lbs off the frame.

·
Registered
9,330 Posts
Sure you will feel the weight loss but personally I consider performance first , durability second and lastly weight.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank's for the replies.
Performance aside, an air spring fork like a 2009 Fox F100RLC will be night and day with my current Tora 318 coil fork with which I am happy with it's performance and reliability;
I have read that coil spring forks are plusher on small bumps than air forks and that the Fox have a tendency to lose anodise on stanchions.

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
i wouldnt say night and day.. the tora will be stiffer, plusher, and have more usable travel. foxes rebound damper is much better and the compression is a bit better. the tora will also be more reliable, better seals, cheaper/easier to maintain.

the toras really a pretty good fork, its just heavy and the rebound kinda sucks.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank's! I appreciate your fast reply.
The reason I'm asking is that I am new on mtb and have never had the chance to try a bike with an air fork.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts