Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a lighter better quality eccentric that can replace the one in my Rig? I'm trying to put this thing on a diet.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
To my knowledge, there is no "standard" for EBB's. They're all different.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Keep searching this forum. I could have sworn that I read in a post that Phil Wood makes one that fits that was a bunch lighter.

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
bigdrunk said:
Keep searching this forum. I could have sworn that I read in a post that Phil Wood makes one that fits that was a bunch lighter.
It requires a pinch bolt or set screw BB shell.

The Rig uses an internal expanding EBB.

·
No Justice = No Peace
1,512 Posts
can you lighten what you have?

I thought I saw a thread about drilling holes in an expanding EBB to make it lighter.

·
Appalachian Singletrack'n
1,443 Posts
A bushnell will fit a Rig.
Saves a fair amount of weight.
Its on the list of things I want to change on my wife's Rig but for a cost to performance ratio its preaty far down the list.

·
rbtm member
888 Posts

·
Appalachian Singletrack'n
1,443 Posts
I haven’t tried it, I had my wife’s Rig apart one day, threw a caliper in the shell then held the caliper up to our tandem. They measured practically the same so I made an assumption.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Where's the weight?

I have replaced the bars and seatpost with easton carbon. Stem is the same easton unit as well. King hs. Saddle is a wtb ti rail unit. Wheels are Am. Classic SS with endless cog and tires are Specialized ft's which weighed in at 1.3lbs and 1.5lbs ea. compared to the stock bonti's at 1.7 ea. (just for fyi)
I'm still at 24.5lbs even??!! This thing was over 26 stock though!
I have not weighed this frame and bb by itself has anyone done so? My suspisions are that the frame is pretty portly and before I pop for that pace fork and new cranks I might as well give in to that da# banner across the top. At least that way I'll be starting quite light!
Thing is, most of these upgraded parts came off of my pervious ss, a 26" dean. It weighed in at 19.5lbs. It did not have the Reba but I was hoping for 23.5 suspended 21 rigid?

Anyone with a weight on a rig? Mines a 17.5" by the way.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
Do you have a gram weight on that 1.3lb FT tire? 0.2lb between them seems a bit much, other specimen were more consistent, hardly an ounce between them.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
got grams?

No, my fishing scale give me lbs/ozs...so 1lb 3oz vs 1lb 5oz. I was rather suprised myself!

·
Bored
1,982 Posts
JJ does EBB mod's. Why not call him and see if he'll quote you on a modification?

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
None said:
No, my fishing scale give me lbs/ozs...so 1lb 3oz vs 1lb 5oz. I was rather suprised myself!
1lb 3oz is 1.2lbs and 1lb 5oz is 1.31lbs (16oz to a pound, not 10). Roughly 550 & 600g.

·
Registered
78 Posts
i know of one.....

hey you can get a salsa "juan solo" bushnell style bb. just ask any lbs that has access to quality bike products. with this you can shave off at least 100 grams, i forgot the exact numbers for weight savings, i just remember thats its a big savings. oh yeah i think that they are currently out of stock as i just checked again this week!

my 17.5 weights in at just around 25, but after christmas should be down to maybe 21!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
kaolin said:
hey you can get a salsa "juan solo" bushnell style bb. just ask any lbs that has access to quality bike products. with this you can shave off at least 100 grams, i forgot the exact numbers for weight savings, i just remember thats its a big savings. oh yeah i think that they are currently out of stock as i just checked again this week!

my 17.5 weights in at just around 25, but after christmas should be down to maybe 21!!
Have you tried the Salsa EBB to see if it will work. Or are you assuming it will work. Last I heard the Salsa one is not the same size.

·
Registered
245 Posts
noslogan said:
My XL rig frame is 2250g. With the stock headset and paint stripped.
EDIT: Plus the bottom bracket.
I hate to assume anything, but if you are including the weight of the bb, does that mean you have the bb eccentric included in that weight too?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts