Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my first SL and I believe it weighs around 27 lbs. (size L). I'd like to shave a couple pounds off the bike b/c I am doing Leadville for the 1st time and it is easier to lose 2 pounds off the bike than give up beer to lose the 2 lbs myself! Any suggestions for "low hanging fruit" to save weight?

·
Registered
220 Posts
If you got the entry level kit, like the DXC, swap the wire bead Nevegals for some kevlar beads. I had the shop do that on my wife's SL. I forget what that weight difference was, but it was around 1 1/2 #'s I think. I don't know why they would even put those tires on a SuperLIGHT.

·
Tough Guy Extraordinaire
601 Posts
Wheels! It may be a big investment, but a sweet set of wheels will help you shed a fair amount of weight. I've got mine down to about 25.1.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Well if it is equipped with the DXC kit then the cassette is a Shimano HG 50, 11-34 (Deore) which weighs about 440 g. For about 60 bucks you can get the XT cassette which weighs about 264 grams. So thats almost a 200 g savings right there.

Then you can save 20 grams (yeah I know...not much) by switching to a 149ish g Shimano M770 XT Front Deraileur and get better shifting. That would set you back about 35 dollars or so. (Rear Der. is fine unless you want to fork out 130 dollars for the XTR RD)

Then of course new wheelsets are always a good upgrade.

Let us know what you do! I am looking into getting a new superlight later on this summer with the D kit and want to have it around 26-27 #'s and not break the bank doing it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you're not a hefty dude, and you ride well enough to avoid destructive objects, get some light wheels and run rim brakes instead of discs. I got my SL down around 25 lbs with a set of ceramic Mavics, and wheels are key because they exaggerate the light feeling. Rotational weight is deceiving.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.