Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all

i just wanted to start my own Lopes Link Thread (LLT). i didn't think there were enough of them, LLT's that is. we already know there are not enough links...hans?

have any of you considered making yours lighter?? maybe some holes or bearing cooling slots.

happy installations! (to those that know how)

~mx~

·
flow where ever you go
1,526 Posts
Since learning that the silvers are 5 grams heavier than the anodized colors, I hand sanded the nickel coating off and ended up at 113 grams !! Somehow lighter than the anodized versions. Then I drilled three 1/8" inch holes in each of the two cross braces on the link. Now I'm down to 92 grams - beating the old links in weight and strength!! :thumbsup:

I know, I know, you all will want some pics pronto. I'll get to it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If this thread isn't a joke you guys should read some basics about structural mechanics and then ask again: do I really want to drill holes in the LL? Anyway, I hope this is a joke but had to make sure that you kids don't get hurt...

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SvenW said:
If this thread isn't a joke you guys should read some basics about structural mechanics and then ask again: do I really want to drill holes in the LL? Anyway, I hope this is a joke but had to make sure that you kids don't get hurt...
i think the problem lies in the "Lopes" logo. this is taking up valuable real estate. drilling might have to compromise this logo.

mx

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
This is complete bollocks to be frank. If yiou are worried about 15gms then take a ****

actually this makes Ibis owners look like idiots

oh my god, can't ride in wet and muddy conditions because I can't deal with the weight gain!!

MX with respect, get a life

·
Registered
73 Posts
Personally i find it quite funny, i'm waiting for MX to sell his light Lopes Link, given he has enough stock in all the colours. Who cares what other people think about Ibis owners, not me thats for sure ;)

mx, so how much for a lightened Lopes Link, and how's your stock levels :thumbsup:

·
DIRT DART
209 Posts
hhhhmmm can't wait to read about the injury reports after you knuckle heads try this one.

and i guaranty that Ibis will NOT warranty the LL when it breaks because you drilled holes in it..........i can just see it now.................friggin retards:rolleyes:

·
flow where ever you go
1,526 Posts
mx_599 said:
i think the problem lies in the "Lopes" logo. this is taking up valuable real estate. drilling might have to compromise this logo.

mx
No problem for me. I sanded it off.

·
Registered
752 Posts
b-40 said:
hhhhmmm can't wait to read about the injury reports after you knuckle heads try this one.

and i guaranty that Ibis will NOT warranty the LL when it breaks because you drilled holes in it..........i can just see it now.................friggin retards:rolleyes:
Not very bright, aren't we?

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
410 Posts
A little overboard...don't you think?

I used to be a weight weenie but I think drilling holes is taking it too far. The mojo is a trail bike or all mountain bike. Maybe the Tranny is better suited to your riding style if you are worried about weight and climbing?

The reason for the link was to increase rear stiffness, don't you think drilling holes in it is counterproductive? Especially for 13g's. C'mon, if you are that desperate to save a little weight try running some worn down tires or removing zipper handles from your camelback....there is nothing wrong with having a light mojo, but there are 453 grams in 1 lb. 13grams is not that much weight to save. It's about the weight of 2 quarters.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I think there are a few folk that are under the miss apprehension that this is a weight weenie forum. Carbon frames don't a weight weenie make

Plenty of scope in the actual WW forum section of mtbr

Enough

·
DIRT DART
209 Posts
some of you are in denial about your sickness.......and the first step is to admit that you have a debilitating and incureable disease and that you are indeed "A WEIGHT WEENIE", now go back to your own forum and quit trying to suck us into your wretched world.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.