Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I a going to race next season and right now I have a heavy bike. It weights about 27-28 pounds. I just bought Stan's for the wheels but now I don't know what I should replace first to get a lot of weight off for the money. Thanks everyone

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Jersey said:
give us a FULL spec list with specifics of everything on your bike, and id be glad to help
MANITOU AXEL COMP 100MM FORK
WTB ALUM. BAR 31.8
TRUVATIV STEM
CRANKSET TRUVATIV X-FLOW CR-04-IX-S3 POWER SPLINE
BB TRUVATIV POWERSPLINE
SEAT WTB PURE V SPORT SS
ALUM. SEAT POST
FREEWHEEL SUN RACE CASSETTE
BRAKES HAYES MX-2 MECHANICAL 6" ROTOR
SHIMANO F.D.
SRAM X.9 R.D. (NEW)
X.9 TRIGGER SHIFTERS (NEW)
WTB SPEED DISC WHEELSET
WTB WEIRWOLF 2.1 but I plan buying kenda's
IRONHORSE WARRIOR COMP FRAME

·
almost there!
341 Posts
start with your wheels

I don't know how much your wheelset weighs but lighten them as much as you can.

Then consider getting a Shimano XT bottom bracket/crankset combo (external bearing type), this will make your bike a lot more efficient.

But like the guy above says ride the crap out of what you have right now and then upgrade as parts start to break.

Or if you upgrade now you might be able to sell the parts you're replacing.

·
Registered
302 Posts
if you can afford it, drop the fork. that fork is a piece of lead. next lighter seat, then maybe SRAM 990 cassete and PC99 hollowpin chain. not only will it be lighter, but alot better performance.

IMO, 31.8 bars are too heavy and no performance issue. i realize they came on the bike, but the stem alone could drop weight to like a RF deus and carbon bars.

eventually work up to a frame! ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.