Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in an attempt to shave a little weight off my geared KM I've got an idea, but might need help.

I'm starting with the wheels. Currently I'm running deore disc hubs w/ a Mavic MA3 front rim and an Alex ACE19 rear rim....I'm pretty sure I used straight gauge spokes and brass nips. I'm running Avid discs.

I just scored a deal on a Mavic SpeedCity front wheel ($60...I think that's a deal?)....so I'll keep my Avid disc on the front.

Rear is where I'm running into problems...I've got a Ritchey road hub and Alex RB somethin or other rim that is a pretty light setup. Problem is the 130 mm spacing. I've done spacer things to the inside of 130 mm hubs to get 135 mm for SS applications....how should I go about it for the geared application?

Since it's a road wheel, it's non-disc..so I've got a brand new XTR vee brake set I can put on the rear (probably lighter too)....OR is disc front, vee rear too mullet-ish?

Or do you think the weight savings are going to be so small I shouldn't worry about it?

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
qtip said:
So in an attempt to shave a little weight off my geared KM I've got an idea, but might need help.

I'm starting with the wheels. Currently I'm running deore disc hubs w/ a Mavic MA3 front rim and an Alex ACE19 rear rim....I'm pretty sure I used straight gauge spokes and brass nips. I'm running Avid discs.

I just scored a deal on a Mavic SpeedCity front wheel ($60...I think that's a deal?)....so I'll keep my Avid disc on the front.

Rear is where I'm running into problems...I've got a Ritchey road hub and Alex RB somethin or other rim that is a pretty light setup. Problem is the 130 mm spacing. I've done spacer things to the inside of 130 mm hubs to get 135 mm for SS applications....how should I go about it for the geared application?

Since it's a road wheel, it's non-disc..so I've got a brand new XTR vee brake set I can put on the rear (probably lighter too)....OR is disc front, vee rear too mullet-ish?

Or do you think the weight savings are going to be so small I shouldn't worry about it?
Just ride and be happy. Work on your conditioning and perhaps drop a few pounds off your human frame. :cool:

What tires and tubes are you running? Perhaps you could start there.

BB

·
Registered
362 Posts
disc/v

What is wrong with the disc in ftont and v in back? Nothin. I like the way mine is set up. If I could, I would run v brake all the time. disc are great but a good v brake set up can save a lot of weight and money.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.