Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to replace my OE Bontrager saddle (340g) with something much lighter. However, I still need it to be somewhat comfortable. I just wear regular shorts when I ride now and I have comfortably done 20+ mile rides with the Bontrager. I was looking at ultralight saddles like the Selle SLR and Tioga Spyder, but I have a feeling those won't cut it comfort-wise and perhaps durability-wise.

So now I'm looking at maybe the WTB Devo (190-195g) or the WTB Shadow V (195 or 215g). Can you guys make some other suggestions in that weight range or less that I should be looking at?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
SLR - XP model. It has some light padding and is 157 gr. I have two of these - very pleased. But you should get some padding for that butt if you want to ride more than 20 miles on this baby.

·
Music & Bikes
1,653 Posts
Everybody has different anatomy , so much opinion on saddles....

My Brooks is heavy (400g) and expensive ( $300/can ) but I'm as comfy as in my lazyboy.
It has the ability to form to your anatomy in the long run.
Worth every extra gram/dollar.

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
fokof said:
Everybody has different anatomy , so much opinion on saddles....

My Brooks is heavy (400g) and expensive ( $300/can ) but I'm as comfy as in my lazyboy.
It has the ability to form to your anatomy in the long run.
Worth every extra gram/dollar.
I think he said he was looking for a comforatable AND light saddle.:rolleyes: One would have to look pretty hard to find a saddle heavier then 400g. I'm not knocking the Brooks, I'm just sayin'...
I think the Brooks prolly still beats this:

Attachments

·
Music & Bikes
1,653 Posts
Axis II said:

I think he said he was looking for a comforatable AND light saddle.:rolleyes: One would have to look pretty hard to find a saddle heavier then 400g. I'm not knocking the Brooks, I'm just sayin'...
I think the Brooks prolly still beats this:
Harr argh harr :D

My point was that a 195g , CAN'T be comfortable. It can be less painfull than anaother but not comfy, or that's not my definition of comfy.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I really like the Specialized Toupe 143mm wide version @ 167 grams I also rode the San Marco Aspide "Night Train" version is a little lighter at 149 grams I rode this for the last two years until switching to the Toupe before that I rode all the different models of the Flite with the TT being the lightest at 165 grams however my reat likes the flater saddles like the Aspide and Toupe also in flat style is the SLR @ 135-145 grams I know alot of people ride this saddle it just wasn't comfy for me.

·
rad to the power of sick
1,969 Posts
I dont know how light you want to get, but if youre not a full out weight weenie id suggest the Fizik aliante.

It ranges from 150g to 250g depending on the rails/version you get. I have a magnesium version that weighs 253g and I swear by this seat and would suggest it to anyone. I tried an SLR gel flow, bontrager race x lite and hated both. The comfort of the aliante more than makes up for the weight. I can ride with out a chamois for hours on this saddle.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Specialized

Someone threw out the Toupe from Spec., it is a sweet saddle but it's meant for Road and is pretty delicate/fragile IMO.

I'd suggest the Rival SL from Specialized, right around the same weight as the WTB Devo but available in a few widths to fit your anatomy. Find a Spec. dealer with the Body Geometry rear-end measuring device and go from there...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.