Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a set of relatively light (1.9-2.1, no Tubeless) tires for allround (Northeast, dry to wet) XC/trail duties that work well with Stan's. My Ventana X5 went from 27lbs to FRish (31lbs) and is on its way back since the bigger hits are being handled by another bike now. No need to get silly light but sub/around 500grms would be nice. Rims are Mavic XM819 (tubeless) and I'd like to use them without rim strip. Kenda Karma DTC 2.0 maybe? Any other suggestions?
(Oh, and please no heated Stan's nonbelievers posts, I've done it with those rims, know the failures and virtues and still have two quarts of sealant to waste)
cheers

·
Registered
71 Posts
I can't speak for peabody of course (except that he has good taste in tire selection) but I used them front and back. The front can be a little sketchy at first but I really liked it once I got used to it.

2.0 provided plenty of traction and low rolling resistance in the back and was reliable up front in the corners (unless it got really wet or "loose").

Again, IMO, a great option for a light XC tire.

K

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
Karma's also. Best weight per volumn going imo. I tend to run them rear only tho, but not always. Right now, I have a 2.1 RacingRalph in the front.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
alright, just ordered two Karmas, 2.0, F&R. Thanks for all the input.

Now, while we're at it (and it looks like I came to the right place)...rims: I have my XM 819s and what I like about them is that I can run Stans without rim strip which makes their relative heavy weight (500+including those FORE nipples) relatively bearable. If that does not make me happy the next step could be lighter rims.
What light rims that work well with Stan's would you guys recommend for rocky XC all-day rides? As mentioned, I have another bike (Ventana La Bruja) for the ultra technical and bigger hit trails, but still, these rims will have to be more durable than pure XC racing rims, I will hit the odd rock garden and 1 ft step here and there. I am 162lbs incl. all gear. Or should I not even bother changing from the 819s?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.