Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking for a light durable wheel for me. im 210lbs and ride xc 90% of the time. i also use v brakes. i was thinking about crossmax sl&xl or possibly a king rear wheel as i already have one up front. i race occasionally and anything that i buy will be my primary wheelset. the old front wheel goes to the ss and the rear to the fiances soon build up. so what do you think?

·
Premium Member
7,610 Posts
Velocity Aeroheat rims with Chris King Non disc Hubs. Strong and light.

·
Registered
401 Posts
darth tracer said:
im looking for a light durable wheel for me. im 210lbs and ride xc 90% of the time. i also use v brakes. i was thinking about crossmax sl&xl or possibly a king rear wheel as i already have one up front. i race occasionally and anything that i buy will be my primary wheelset. the old front wheel goes to the ss and the rear to the fiances soon build up. so what do you think?
I weigh 208, ride xc, I've got about 150 miles on a set of Stan's 370g rims w/ King hubs....no problems

·
Registered
162 Posts
Can't go wrong with well built Chris King wheels

You don't mention any cost budget or whether or not tubeless plays into the equation, but here are my 2 cents worth.

Chris King Hubs are great. I weigh about 220lbs and until I started building my own wheels alway had lots of problems. You should be fine on any well built wheel for XC riding. The 517's mentioned are OK, I like sun 0 degree rims (XC or lite) better, and my favorites so far are the Synchros lil' snappers. I currently have a set of these laced to Chris Kings using Ti-Dye spokes & alloy nips - very light and strong. You can find the lil snapper rims cheap on ebay. Got mine from Nashbar for $10ea. I think I saw some sun sub IV's on sale at Jenson for $15. I've never built with them or ridden them, but they have eyelets and most higher end Sun rims I've seen are well constructed.

I'd recommend picking most any light rim that has eyelets and then getting a good builder to lace them up to your front King and a new rear King.

If you do get a rear King, make sure your cassette is on a carrier. The soft aluminum cassette body can get marred by the individual cogs used in the lower end cassettes. Mine's got some scars from an LX (non-carrier) cassette I used with it for a while.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.