Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into getting some light weight wheels. Does anyone have any recomandations? I know of the likes of XTR, and crossmax wheels but does anyone else have something different. Please let me know with what you would recommend.

I am also open to building up a wheelset. What hubs? spokes? nipples? etc. would be light and durrable?

Thanks,

Jimmy:thumbsup:

·
Registered
328 Posts
liam2051 said:
what about, dt swiss 240 hub built up on ztr olympic rims. very very light wheel. but for me THE BEST wheelset out there are the mavic slr's
Hmmm.. Dunno bout the DT hubs or ZTR's haven't done my homework on them... sorry.... I was just reading in the forums about the high end Mavic wheelsets . Someone was saying they always see a line of people on race day at the Mavic tent with broken spokes... Seems like the Mavic spokes, when hitting a rock or derailer or something break easier than regular spokes...

·
FIRENZE rulez !!
3,865 Posts
i have ZTR RACE 7000 wheels

no other rim is lighter , 284 gr as medium value ...

laced wit DT revolutions 1,5 / 1,8 / 1,5 spokes

red ergal nipples

my hubs ( sorry i can do better but was a built set ) : Lefty SI on front , AC on rear

with EXTRALITE hub on rear ( on front too if you have a traditional fork ) my set will be WONDERFUL

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
eliflap said:
i have ZTR RACE 7000 wheels

no other rim is lighter , 284 gr as medium value ...

laced wit DT revolutions 1,5 / 1,8 / 1,5 spokes

red ergal nipples

my hubs ( sorry i can do better but was a built set ) : Lefty SI on front , AC on rear

with EXTRALITE hub on rear ( on front too if you have a traditional fork ) my set will be WONDERFUL
Around how much does the whole wheelset weight? with extralight hubs? I have been looking at the ZTR race 7000 wheels, how much did yours cost and how much you think they would be with EXTRALITE hubs?

Also i was looking at the ZTR 7000 with DT 240 hubs... what you recommend for spokes?

Thanks,
Jimmy

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the Fulcrum Red Metal Zero wheelset. Realy good wheelset, strong rims with lovely hubs. The sound from the rear hub screams quality. At 1450g its not the lightest wheelset around but they sure are good.

The ZTR Olympic rims with the new DT 190 ceramic hubs would be intresting to see, anyone tried a set and if so how was they and what was the weight?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Cyclehollic said:
The ZTR Olympic rims with the new DT 190 ceramic hubs would be intresting to see, anyone tried a set and if so how was they and what was the weight?
My rear wheel is an Olympic rim (333g) with DT 190 hub, Revolution 2.0-1.5-2.0 spokes, DT aluminum nipples, and the Stan's No tubes yellow tape and Olympic valve, and it weighs 705g. The front wheel is Olympic rim (348g) with Lefty hub, same Revolution spokes and nipples, tape and valve, and it weighs 658g, but that includes the bolt for the front axle and the cover fo rthe bolt that allows easy removal from the axle. Without the bolt and cover, it weighs 640g.

I have been running them for a year now, and have had no trouble at all with them. I ride a Giant Anthem Advanced, and do cross country, but have been known to do 2-3 foot drops. I weigh 82kg right now, but I was almost 90kg when I got the wheels. For my next trick, I will be trying one of the new ZTR Race front wheels, advertised at 540g, and expected at around 550g with the yellow tape and valve.

·
himom!
684 Posts
jimmygunka said:
Is it cheaper to buy hubs, spokes, nipples and rims then to buy a factory wheelset?
Not really.

There are only a few "light" factory wheelsets that I can think of: American Classic, Mavic Crossmax, Spinergy Xyclone, Fulcrum Red Zero, FSA XC-300 SL.

It'd be hard to custom build, for example, a lighter AC wheelset, since they sell for about $500 and the hubs alone cost about $400.

People don't go custom to save money. They go custom to save weight or get the hubs (ex:Chris King) or rims (ex:notubes) they really want.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Cyclehollic said:
I have the Fulcrum Red Metal Zero wheelset. Realy good wheelset, strong rims with lovely hubs. The sound from the rear hub screams quality. At 1450g its not the lightest wheelset around but they sure are good.
Do you have pics of these wheels? How about on a scale? I understand they are nice but I thought they were even heavier than 1450.

I would love to have more info. Thanks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Stans Ztr Race

These wheels are unreal. When they showed up I was AMAZED to see that they came in at exactly 1210 grams on our digital gram scale with rim strips and valves included. I have raced on them about 8 times so far this season and they are holding up well. I have them on my Orbea Oiz Carbon which weighs in at 22 lbs 5 oz as it sits with pedals and one cage.

Unless you are super pro and prepared to spend major $$ for the Reynolds Tubular Carbon wheels, which come in at around 1100 grams, these are the heat!

Stans even offers a $100 crash replacement-rebuild option for these wheels which I think is great as well. Mike and Stan are a pleasure to deal with and take the time to answer questions they probably hear over and over.

Highly recommend them.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
dmcgoy said:
Not really.

There are only a few "light" factory wheelsets that I can think of: American Classic, Mavic Crossmax, Spinergy Xyclone, Fulcrum Red Zero, FSA XC-300 SL.

It'd be hard to custom build, for example, a lighter AC wheelset, since they sell for about $500 and the hubs alone cost about $400.

People don't go custom to save money. They go custom to save weight or get the hubs (ex:Chris King) or rims (ex:notubes) they really want.
What do you think of the Spinergy Xyclones? Have you had any experience with them?

Thanks,
Jimmy

·
Registered
363 Posts
King of Bling said:
These wheels are unreal. When they showed up I was AMAZED to see that they came in at exactly 1210 grams on our digital gram scale with rim strips and valves included. I have raced on them about 8 times so far this season and they are holding up well. I have them on my Orbea Oiz Carbon which weighs in at 22 lbs 5 oz as it sits with pedals and one cage.

Unless you are super pro and prepared to spend major $$ for the Reynolds Tubular Carbon wheels, which come in at around 1100 grams, these are the heat!

Stans even offers a $100 crash replacement-rebuild option for these wheels which I think is great as well. Mike and Stan are a pleasure to deal with and take the time to answer questions they probably hear over and over.

Highly recommend them.
That's great to hear, I was hoping for my set to come in today but I guess it will be tomorrow. What tires are you running? Standared non-tubless. I am mounting Kenda non-Ust small block 8's 2.1 with stans sealant. By my calculations, I will lose 3lbs. off my bike with the current wheel set which includes DT Swiss 4.1d, rims and DT Onyx hubs with a front 2.35 Nevegal/front and 2.1 nevegal/rear.
Can't wait to try out the new wheel set.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.