Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still riding a hardtail for cross country riding because last time I priced light weight full suspension bikes I would have had to spend $3500+ to get something lighter than my current hardtail. This was 5+ years ago granted.

My current hardtail comes in around 21 pounds. Can anyone give me some numbers off the top of their head I'd have to spend to come close to that with a full suspension these days? Thanks.

·
Registered
521 Posts
The Specialized epic is a light xc bike. Getting it to 21-22 lbs is either going to be the World cup or s-works editions starting at $7k.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Scott Spark 700 SL is about 21 pounds and MSRP is about $9000.

I wonder if anyone has tried a weight weenie build starting with a FS China carbon frame and China carbon wheels. Bet that could be pretty light and pretty inexpensive.

·
Registered
11,036 Posts
I wonder if anyone has tried a weight weenie build starting with a FS China carbon frame and China carbon wheels. Bet that could be pretty light and pretty inexpensive.
And pretty likely to fold under you?

Let's face it. It's like saying 'I want an off-road truck that weighs the same as my sports car but I don't want it to be too expensive'. Yeah, ok.

Without spending serious money I reckon the only way you'll get close to that weight is if you can find a deal on a short-travel cross-country bike from a few years ago. Something like a 2010 Kona Hei Hei, only 24lb.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I do not know about the other bikes, but with the Epics you would be at about double with the Epic Expert WC to be slightly above that and triple to be below that with the Sworks.

·
Registered
285 Posts
What's wrong with another hardtail? I bought a new hardtail for this season, I ride/race XC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Only cheap xc I know is the Santa Cruz Superlight but haven't ridden one. Think they're about 26lbs. Start around $2200. Don't know how much the design has been updated.

·
Registered
456 Posts
A 2011- 2013 Scalpel Team/ 27.5 @ 20lbs out of the box with (2x10). I got mines in the ~18lb range with simple mods and a 1x system ( still have room for weight reduction).

Not much HT's out there let alone a FS comes close in weight-

You can pick up a used one in your price range or build one up for a little more.

Ohh and yes, its an excellent, fast climbing/ performing XC race
rig with 100/ 80 mm travel- feels like a HT :)

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,390 Posts
Yes, bikes are expensive. I built up a carbon fatbike with carbon wheels. Is it 21lbs? No, but it's not much more. Expensive? Yep. I definitely wasn't able to build up such a bike my first-time around with fatbikes.

When 29er hardtails came along they all but killed the 3" travel 26er FS race bike. The 29er could keep momentum over rough terrain even better and of course it weighed less than an FS bike. For many people wanting to be competitive and not spend $6000 on a 23lb FS bike, it made a lot of sense. It still makes a lot of sense. You may be able to build up a 21lb FS bike, which would be nice, but you are going to spend a lot of money for that increased comfort, and you are likely not going to pick up any speed, unless you are so good that you constantly get in the top few spots in every race, in which case someone is probably going to want to sponsor you anyway. FS bikes are nice to not pound your body and do long rides, but they are not "necessary", so you really have to think hard. A 29er rolls over rough terrain very well, keeps it's speed up, etc. A light FS bike is a ton of money and it's much easier to build a light hardtail, heck, with a chinese fcarbon frame and wheels you can do it for a pretty amazing price, but it's all about priorities. I'd love to have a 23lb Turner Czar for racing, but I just don't have the cash for that. 21lbs starts to compromise the structure and ridability for all-around rides IMO.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts