Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what the lightest tubes people are running and were you can purchase them. The Bontrager lite my shop carries seem to be pretty heavy.

Thanks

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
I have had GREAT luck w/ the Specy Turbo tube in the 26" version.
I ran a patched Turbo for 3 months out back on my Vulture..never did have a problem with it.
They are thin, so don't even really have to stretch 'em on...and VERY light....

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
700cx38 works great for me. Lighter than 29er tubes and I haven't gotten any flats with them while running fairly low pressure and 2.1 tires. You can go below 38, but they run kind of funny. Below 32 and you risk popping them just inflating the things.

The Ito

·
Registered
790 Posts
2nd the 26" tubes

I have had good luck with Continental 26" light tubes. 123g each.

Riding FS at 220# on lots of waterbars, roots, and rocks. 2 months and 25+ rides so far

I'm pretty convinced any light 26" tube is going to be good enough. Don't really even seem to roll funny.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
tube suggestion

I've been playing around with tubes and stan's kit and founs the following:
- most 29er tubes are heavy and standard 26" were too thin for the rocks and stuff here (lots of pinch flats)
- I found stan's just too much of a pain in a** to use (personal opinion) and the tires i like to use (bonti's) don't work well with them, and i've seen and heard too many horror stories.

I found burried in the back of our tube shelf several boxes of Specialized "thorn proof racing" tubes (26"). They're a bit thicker than standard 26" too cut down a bit on pinch flats and the half dozen or so i weighed averaged about the claimed weight of 165g.

They seem to work pretty well for me so far this season.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Maxis tubes

Jeff Jones told me he has used the 26" maxis (flyweight?) tubes without any problems and those tubes are very light. Seems like they would be very fragile but JJ claims no issues yet. I have some on order to try myself.

·
Registered
112 Posts
light 29er tubes

Performance Lunar Light, 26x1.95-2.25, three for $25, weigh 95-100gm, very stretchable, just pump them up a little and don't really need to be stretched, only takes a couple of psi (too low for my guage to measure) and they fill a Nano. Obviously thin, wouldn't want to use them where there are a lot of thorns, but they have worked as well for me as any others as long as I check the pressures to make sure I don't get too low and start pinching them. A Continental 28x1.75-2.5 is obviously tougher, but weighs 235gm. YMMV :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts