Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to get back into to night riding this winter after quite a while off. I would like to upgrade my setup, currently I have a Niterider MiNewt 600 on the bars and an OG Gloworm X2 on my helmet with 4 cell in the hydration pack. I have recently put some effort into setting up my kit to ride without a pack at all and am really enjoying it

Budget is $100-$200. I would like to loose the cord to the pack and end up with something self contained or small engough battery that it could be mounted on my helmet. I am thinking along the lines of moving the X2 to the bars and a new 2 cell Alpha or Hangover mounted to the helmet.
What do you guys think? Is there a better route to go?

·
CEO Product Failure
2,409 Posts
Amazon. Buy cheap lights with good reviews. You can easily get both a helmet and handlebar light for less than $100. The performance will be as good your NR's and they'll last longer.

I started night riding with one of the OG Nightrider systems in the mid '90s. The battery was the water bottle, there were 2 lenses on the handlebar mount. Rode NightRiders up until 2010. I had their Torch and Storm HID lamps. They worked GREAT. And the each cost more than a car payment. And they had to get serviced annually which required shipping to/from SanDiego (about $20 each way) and the service fee ($$$). And this took 3-4 weeks for NR to service. At one point, I needed lights, didn't have the time to wait on NR, so I ordered cheap lights (BrightEyes) from Amazon. They worked surprisingly well and last 4+ years. And they were less than $40 for the set. I've never gone back to name brand lights.

I just order 2 sets of these (Amazon link below) for the our (wife & I) gravel bikes. They work PHENOMENALLY.

Reactions: shwndh

·
Registered
151 Posts
I would say buy once cry once and skip the cheap lights. I've bought a few cheap lights over the years and the connectivity, mounting bracket and battery holder are not great. I've had the power cable bounce loose while bombing a descent, good thing for the helmet light. You have good options with the Outbound lights. I've seen them at 24 hours and they look like good quality but have never run them personally. I run a Dinotte XML 3 on the bars, very good run times good even beam as well. I run an Exposure Diablo on the helmet. You could spend more on the bar light and go for a lightweight Nightrider 900- 1100 on the helmet to stay in budget

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Budget is $100-$200. I would like to loose the cord to the pack and end up with something self contained or small engough battery that it could be mounted on my helmet. I am thinking along the lines of moving the X2 to the bars and a new 2 cell Alpha or Hangover mounted to the helmet.
Putting your X2 on the bars is what I'd do. I'd also run 1 or 2 of the wide angle optics to widen the beam. Depending on the vintage of your Gloworm you may have gotten one of these with your kit. Adding an Alpha for your helmet needs would be the simplest solution + the new ones come with a wireless remote that's a nice feature. Best helmet light performance in your budget would be to get a Magicshine Monteer 3500 lighthead and an ebay FMA 5000mAh 21700 2 cell battery. Quality of the newer Magicshine lights is very good but with the 3500 you'll be sacrificing the Alpha's remote, general familiarity, changeable optics, programmable presets, a few less grams, and a smaller profile for over double the output.
Mole

Magicshine® Monteer 3500S Light Head - Round Plug

Magicshine® MJ-6260B Helmet Mount, for All Garmin Quarter Turn Devices

Rechargeable Protected Li-Ion Battery 7.2v 5Ah 50E for LED Bike Light Flashlight | eBay

Magicshine Monteer 3500 Review

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Putting your X2 on the bars is what I'd do. I'd also run 1 or 2 of the wide angle optics to widen the beam. Depending on the vintage of your Gloworm you may have gotten one of these with your kit. Adding an Alpha for your helmet needs would be the simplest solution + the new ones come with a wireless remote that's a nice feature. Best helmet light performance in your budget would be to get a Magicshine Monteer 3500 lighthead and an ebay FMA 5000mAh 21700 2 cell battery. Quality of the newer Magicshine lights is very good but with the 3500 you'll be sacrificing the Alpha's remote, general familiarity, changeable optics, programmable presets, a few less grams, and a smaller profile for over double the output.
Mole

Rechargeable Protected Li-Ion Battery 7.2v 5Ah 50E for LED Bike Light Flashlight | eBay

How are those eBay battery packs? Do they require anything special for a charger?

What kind of run times would you expywith the Monteer and that 2 cell battery?

My X2 is from 2012 and came with spot/flood optics, no extras and Gloworm said they no longer can source optics for it. That's said I still think it is a

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would say buy once cry once and skip the cheap lights. I've bought a few cheap lights over the years and the connectivity, mounting bracket and battery holder are not great. I've had the power cable bounce loose while bombing a descent, good thing for the helmet light. You have good options with the Outbound lights. I've seen them at 24 hours and they look like good quality but have never run them personally. I run a Dinotte XML 3 on the bars, very good run times good even beam as well. I run an Exposure Diablo on the helmet. You could spend more on the bar light and go for a lightweight Nightrider 900- 1100 on the helmet to stay in budget
Right now I am thinking I will keep the X2 as it puts out quite a bit of light and is still very usable. How do you like the exposure light? I was also looking at a Joystick to put on my helmet.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
How are those eBay battery packs? Do they require anything special for a charger?
The FMA labeled ones use quality cells and worked well for me. They use round plug connectors and would also work with you X2 and Gloworm charger.

What kind of run times would you expywith the Monteer and that 2 cell battery?
Around 90 min.

My X2 is from 2012 and came with spot/flood optics, no extras and Gloworm said they no longer can source optics for it. That's said I still think it is a
It looks like you can still get optics for your light from Action-LED-Lights but the wide angle optics were never available for the pre 2015 lights. My understanding is the pre 2015's had a floodier beam so hopefully wide enough for your needs.
Mole

Gloworm X2 Flood Optic (for pre-2015 lights)

·
Registered
619 Posts
Stick with the X2 on the bars and a Hangover on the helmet.

Things have improved tremendously since 2010 but amazon lights are cheap for a reason. NR and those guys haven't really updated any of their stuff since 2010-2011 so if that is the only benchmark then yea the cheap stuff is worth it.

However give Outbound a shot, if you don't think it's worth the cost and want to stick with cheap stuff always can return it for a full refund within 30 days. We are the only ones with that policy because we know our stuff is good. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Stick with the X2 on the bars and a Hangover on the helmet.

Things have improved tremendously since 2010 but amazon lights are cheap for a reason. NR and those guys haven't really updated any of their stuff since 2010-2011 so if that is the only benchmark then yea the cheap stuff is worth it.

However give Outbound a shot, if you don't think it's worth the cost and want to stick with cheap stuff always can return it for a full refund within 30 days. We are the only ones with that policy because we know our stuff is good. :)
I am not afraid of paying for a quality product as long as it truly is quality and I plan on using on a regular basis. I thought I read somewhere on here you guys were working on a new version of the Hangover. Is that true? If so do you have any details on it?

I like the idea of the light weight self contained unit. How would you suggest to run the light to get 2hrs of use? Set it medium and go or toggle between high and medium? How do you think the old X2 with spot/flood optics on the bar would work together with the hangover?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Mole

I am planning to get back into to night riding this winter after quite a while off. I would like to upgrade my setup, currently I have a Niterider MiNewt 600 on the bars and an OG Gloworm X2 on my helmet with 4 cell in the hydration pack. I have recently put some effort into setting up my kit to ride without a pack at all and am really enjoying it

I managed to get three NR Lumina 1000 for $60 each and the 1800 for $120. The 1800 on the bar and a 1000 on the helmet. Works great!

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I am not afraid of paying for a quality product as long as it truly is quality and I plan on using on a regular basis. I thought I read somewhere on here you guys were working on a new version of the Hangover. Is that true? If so do you have any details on it?

I like the idea of the light weight self contained unit. How would you suggest to run the light to get 2hrs of use? Set it medium and go or toggle between high and medium? How do you think the old X2 with spot/flood optics on the bar would work together with the hangover?

Here's Outbound's output chart for the hangover. For me the only mode I ever use my Hangover in is high (which would require a remote battery for 2hrs.). Hangover's throw performance is fantastic for a self-contained helmet light but has a fairly low lumen output that results in a pretty narrow beam. That's great if that's what your looking for but considering you can't widen the beam of your X2 I have to wonder how well a combo light the current Hangover would make for your X2? No doubt the new Uber Hangover would make a better choice (if you can wait) but the Gloworm/Magicshine lights are both quality alternatives that would give you similar to much better throw and quite a bit of extra lumen output resulting in a wider beam. It might also be possible to find a leftover X2 (G1) adventure setup in your price range that would give you a lighthead that would accept the wide angle optics and a 2 cell battery (if I find something I'll add a link).
Mole

Here's a link to the X2 (G1) lighthead. Paired with the ebay battery I linked a few posts back you'll end up under your $200 budget. This won't be as high performance as the Monteer 3500 but you get all the Gloworm extras (Changeable optics, programmable presets, better UI program, better Gloworm mounts).

Gloworm X2 1700 Lumen Light with Wireless Remote

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
View attachment 1946963

Here's Outbound's output chart for the hangover. For me the only mode I ever use my Hangover in is high (which would require a remote battery for 2hrs.). Hangover's throw performance is fantastic for a self-contained helmet light but has a fairly low lumen output that results in a pretty narrow beam. That's great if that's what your looking for but considering you can't widen the beam of your X2 I have to wonder how well a combo light the current Hangover would make for your X2? No doubt the new Uber Hangover would make a better choice (if you can wait) but the Gloworm/Magicshine lights are both quality alternatives that would give you similar to much better throw and quite a bit of extra lumen output resulting in a wider beam. It might also be possible to find a leftover X2 (G1) adventure setup in your price range that would give you a lighthead that would accept the wide angle optics and a 2 cell battery (if I find something I'll add a link).
Mole

Here's a link to the X2 (G1) lighthead. Paired with the ebay battery I linked a few posts back you'll end up under your $200 budget. This won't be as high performance as the Monteer 3500 but you get all the Gloworm extras (Changeable optics, programmable presets, better UI program, better Gloworm mounts).

Gloworm X2 1700 Lumen Light with Wireless Remote
Thanks again for all the info. I believe I have found a NIB X2 G1.0 Adventure with wireless remote for $150. Do you have any first hand experience with the Alpha vs X2 1700?

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Do you have any first hand experience with the Alpha vs X2 1700?
The X2 is a better performer but uses its extra output mostly to widen the beam (throw/light intensity is pretty equal - both would out throw your short optic X2). Alpha's advantages are it's physically smaller but mostly that it's narrower but equally potent beam only requires about 60% of the current draw needed by the X2 1700 giving the Alpha considerably longer runtimes. Programming/operation and mounts are identical (different than your X2 but compatible). Note that the ebay battery is higher capacity than the G1 Gloworm 2 cells.
Mole

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.