Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3.1 ust rims. I am considering running non ust tires (since they are so much lighter and cheaper) with ultra light tubes. I think I can run good durable tires and still save about 1/2 pound of tire weight. These will be used on my vt2 for trailriding.

My question is how reliable are the ultra light tubes. If I keep my tire pressure up will I avoid frequent flats.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
own154 said:
I have 3.1 ust rims. I am considering running non ust tires (since they are so much lighter and cheaper) with ultra light tubes. I think I can run good durable tires and still save about 1/2 pound of tire weight. These will be used on my vt2 for trailriding.

My question is how reliable are the ultra light tubes. If I keep my tire pressure up will I avoid frequent flats.
Ultra light tubes are always going to be easier to puncture and pinch flat than thicker tubes.

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
True

More likeley but I have always had good luck running 1.25-1.75 tubes that weigh 130 gm in tires up to 2.3. They do leak down a little quicker but are cheap, light, and pretty reliable. At 220 I get very few flats if I keep thre pressure up around 42 psi.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
own154 said:

I've had relatively good luck in the past with Conti lite tubes (125g) and Bontrager lite tubes (125g).

I have had issues with leaks around the valves when I run them in big tires (also more aggressive riding). I have already made sure that the rim valve holes are smooth and I always use baby powder on the tubes. I've stopped using lite tubes for all applications except XC.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've also been wondering about lightweight tubes but i thought that i read somewhere on here that you can use regular tires on ust rims without tubes. I sent an email to notubes here it is:

I have Mavic 3.1 ust rims and I want to run regular tires not tubeless
to save weight can your kit work like that?

If so what parts do i need?

thanks

You should try the standard ties with just my sealant first. You will need
an air compressor to inflate. Once you get them inflated you can then add
the sealant and seal your tires. If your tires are burping air to much you
can always add the rim strips.
https://www.notubes.com/movieinstall.php?osCsid=2c5bc557cc61319eb8bd486f236abcaf

·
I dig trails!
5,608 Posts
I thought trailriding includes drops and catching air? I wouldn't want a light tube for that.

Would the 50 grams benefit you more than forcing "soft" landings or taking some of the edge off your riding due to worry? You know how you ride.

I'll be adding 200 grams in a new back tire, but I think I am going to be happy about it with the new strength. I just added 3 pounds in a new bike and that made me happier (but it does climb better).

mr. P

·
Registered
428 Posts
Running light tubes depends on trail conditions. I ran performance bike's lunar light non-latex 56g tubes last year w/ kenda klimax 345g tires. This is one of the lightest setups you gonna get with usable knobs. I had no flats on smooth non technical trails but still had to run high psi because tires had skinny walls. I used same tubes with thicker tires with less psi with no problems. I had 3 pinch flats at same time when I went to a highly technical , rocky trails which I enjoy riding so that was the end of stupid light setup. Now I run tubes around 130g or so with WTB 650g or so 2.1 tires. I stop having flats.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.