Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
poll said:
Hi guys
Which kind of 29's light tubes use on your wheels?
Thank a lot
Poll
It is possible to use a 26" tube on a 29er, though it seems (IMO) to shorten the life of the tube somewhat. Most of the guys concerned about weight on here have gone tubeless. It really is the way to go, and the weight is the least of the reasons to do so.

·
Low Rep Count
2,959 Posts
Sorry, I misread the last post. Didn't mean to sound argumentative there. But the fact remains, the weight is not the lead reason for making the swap. Since I have not picked up my new tubes yet and don't plan on running them for too long anyway, I am not going to worry too much about their weight. I normally run the Lunar (Performance) tubes on my 26" wheels though as they are about 95 grams ea. I think.

I would argue the weight savings issue (as far as on a 26"). A light weight 26" tube is under 100 grams and according to Stans you are to use 2-3 oz (about 60-90 grams) per wheel. So we are really only talking about saving 10-30 grams per wheel. Really not that significant. However, the greatest advantage and number one selling point imo is the ability to run lower tire pressures and to simply not get flats.

Currently, I am running tubes but once the weather breaks and I get my normal tires back on the bike, I will be going tubeless myself. Haven't done it yet because I have been building up a new bike and just got the wheels yesterday and tires are due in tomorrow. Since the weather is still questionable I find that I have been changing tires back and forth over the winter so I am just going to wait another month or two before doing so. Especially since I only have one set of 29er wheels at this point.

G

·
26" Latex tubes, either Michelin or Challenge, work great. Challenge is thinner and lighter. Wouldn't say they are better.

Interestingly, I recently converted a set of wheels to tubeless that had used Challenge tubes. One of the tires wouldn't air up until I noticed and repaired a fairly large sidewall puncture. That puncture failed to damage the tube but would never have sealed had I been tubeless at the time. So much for tubeless solving the flats problem. I have no problem running low pressures with latex tubes nor do I have problems making tubes work with any rim and tire combination. ;) Tubes always work.

·
Registered
383 Posts
craigsj said:
26" Latex tubes, either Michelin or Challenge, work great. Challenge is thinner and lighter. Wouldn't say they are better.

Interestingly, I recently converted a set of wheels to tubeless that had used Challenge tubes. One of the tires wouldn't air up until I noticed and repaired a fairly large sidewall puncture. That puncture failed to damage the tube but would never have sealed had I been tubeless at the time. So much for tubeless solving the flats problem. I have no problem running low pressures with latex tubes nor do I have problems making tubes work with any rim and tire combination. ;) Tubes always work.
I really don't want to get into a typical craigsj argument, but I will offer a counterpoint. I bought a set of Flows and took one ride with them with tubes. I had three flats, two of them pinch flats running about 28 psi.
The next time I rode the same trails I ran tubeless, and was the only one in my group to do so. We ran across a patch of goathead thorns. Everyone but me had to change tubes before we rode out. Not only that, but when we got back to the car there were 3 more flats from thorns that weren't found when replacing the tubes. I pulled the thorns from my tires and never thought about it again.
Tubeless may not be for everyone, but to imply that tubes are simply the best alternative is simply incorrect.
Finally, your anecdotal evidence that runnin low pressure with tubes and having no issues is contrary to what the vast majority of riders see as one of the main flaws of tubes. Not saying it isn't true, but it is an exception to the rule.

G

·
xjbaylor said:
I really don't want to get into a typical craigsj argument, but I will offer a counterpoint.
You are off-topic for the second time. The OP asked for info on tubes and you promote tubeless.

xjbaylor said:
Tubeless may not be for everyone, but to imply that tubes are simply the best alternative is simply incorrect.
Nice strawman. I implied nothing. Furthermore, tubes are not an "alternative", tubeless is.

xjbaylor said:
Finally, your anecdotal evidence that runnin low pressure with tubes and having no issues is contrary to what the vast majority of riders see as one of the main flaws of tubes. Not saying it isn't true, but it is an exception to the rule.
Apparently you speak for the vast majority with your anecdotes while mine are of no importance since they conflict with your world view. It seems you do want to be drawn into a "typical craigsj argument".

·
Registered
383 Posts
craigsj said:
You are off-topic for the second time. The OP asked for info on tubes and you promote tubeless.

Nice strawman. I implied nothing. Furthermore, tubes are not an "alternative", tubeless is.

Apparently you speak for the vast majority with your anecdotes while mine are of no importance since they conflict with your world view. It seems you do want to be drawn into a "typical craigsj argument".
I agree with you that my post did lean towards tubeless as the best option, while also stating that the easiest way to buy light 29er tubes is not to buy them at all, but to run 26" tubes. I should have left it at that.

My anecdotes were intended to enforce the "typical" experience of those switching from tubes to tubeless, which tends to be difficulty with setup, and a payoff of reliable performance on the trail. Tubeless has more issues, but they tend the be encountered off the trail, not on it. Slashed tires, as you mentioned, are the exception, and a big one at that. That's why I always carry a spare tube, though I have yet to need it. I have given away probably 10 tubes to riders with punctured tubes and no spares in the time I have been riding tubeless and carrying a spare.

I will agree with your earlier statement however, tubeless can be hit and miss re: rim/tire combinations. Tubes always seem to work.

Finally, I never said your anecdotes were of no importance, only that they seem contrary to the experience of many riders. I am sure there are also plenty of riders who also have no issues running low pressure with tubes. Call it my world view if you want, as I don't have hard and fast numbers to back up my statement.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Compared to other puncture fighting options, tubeless is the way to go. A Slime brand 29er tube is 14 ounces, or 396 grams!, almost a pound! Also puncture resistant tires are much heavier than their counterparts.

G

·
xjbaylor said:
I agree with you that my post did lean towards tubeless as the best option, while also stating that the easiest way to buy light 29er tubes is not to buy them at all, but to run 26" tubes. I should have left it at that.

We are largely in agreement then. I am not arguing against tubeless, my experience was in regards to my own tubeless conversion after all, my intent was to say that tubeless isn't a universal solution to all flats on the trail. Nothing is perfect. I just thought it odd and noteworthy that I experienced a sidewall puncture, most likely a cut, that didn't phase my tube yet Stan's wouldn't seal. I certainly wouldn't say it is common.

I am totally sold on the latex tubes, though, provided you don't mind the daily pump-ups.

·
Registered
383 Posts
craigsj said:
We are largely in agreement then. I am not arguing against tubeless, my experience was in regards to my own tubeless conversion after all, my intent was to say that tubeless isn't a universal solution to all flats on the trail. Nothing is perfect. I just thought it odd and noteworthy that I experienced a sidewall puncture, most likely a cut, that didn't phase my tube yet Stan's wouldn't seal. I certainly wouldn't say it is common.

I am totally sold on the latex tubes, though, provided you don't mind the daily pump-ups.
I think we do agree, and while I have limited experience on latex tubes, I approve of the idea. I will gladly inflate my tubes before each ride if it means not replacing them on the trail.

G

·
I once installed a Michelin latex tube on a Larry mounted on a P35. No problem at all. Stretching to a fit a 29er is nothing in comparison. ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.