Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
I bike, I brew
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Light & Motion ARC HID light, and have been experiencing some awkward behavior that maybe someone can shed some "light" on for me...

Very frequently, when I turn the light on, it rather quickly (in the first few minutes of riding) will begin to "flicker" (the look is very much like it would if a moth were fluttering in front of the light) and the light output turns "yellowish" (akin to the tint of a halogen light when compared to teh white/bluish output of a "normal" HID).

This is usually constant and ongoing, NOT the occasional "flicker" that I've been told will occasionally happen when a light is bounced (like when hitting bumps, etc.).

I've tried shutting off/re-starting with no change. To my knowledge, I do not have problems with the battery (my last ride, I was out for almost 3 hours of "on time"). The biggest catch is that when I click it into "low" power mode, ALL of the symptoms disappear. No flickering (even when going over bumps), no yellowing.

I did just send the light back to L&M, and they indicated that they could not replicate the problem, but replaced the ballast anyway. Super helpful folks.

Any ideas? I'd hate to think I am relegated to riding on "low" power for the rest of my days...

Thanks!

Hank

·
Ouch, I am hot!
4,765 Posts
I have had some flickering, but no yellow with my L&M. I also have a finicky ignition problem. Sometimes it lights right up, other time is may take 30 tries. Plus, my 3 hour battery only last 1.5 hours now. I may have left it charging for too long too many times. I plan on sending it to L&M, but am wondering how long a turnaround yours took? I don't want to miss out on the precious nightriding we are forced to do here.

·
I bike, I brew
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hope I'm not duplicating my earlier response, but I think I disconnected before my last attempt posted...

Anyway - it sounds like you have a problem with the ballast. Your description fits the mold for the recent "recall" they just did - mentioning both ignition and especially reduced burn times. There is a specific range of model numbers...

I'll try to find the link/info and send it to you.

My turn around time was actually very good - they had to do extra troubleshooting on mine, and I still had it back in about 2 weeks (I think it came out to 15 days).

I'm very impressed with their communication and product...

Hank

Dirdir said:
I have had some flickering, but no yellow with my L&M. I also have a finicky ignition problem. Sometimes it lights right up, other time is may take 30 tries. Plus, my 3 hour battery only last 1.5 hours now. I may have left it charging for too long too many times. I plan on sending it to L&M, but am wondering how long a turnaround yours took? I don't want to miss out on the precious nightriding we are forced to do here.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.