Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my present bike (Niner Rip 9 RDO) back in 2017 when I was just riding a lot and not looking at internet posts or YouTube videos on latest trends. My riding buddies asked in disbelief how I could still be riding my outdated Jet 9 carbon XT 1X10, Stan's Arch (narrow?) alloy rims, bike weighing well under 25lbs with pedals and bottle cage. I said "What?" Comments like "Bro you won't believe the sick new geo bikes, long and slack, these bikes are faster than a speeding bullet and handle better than that dinosaur you are riding!" Gotta get with the program bro, you can stick the McDougal 9000 off the Big dipper jump!.

I mean I was happy riding my 24lb 120mm bike with 1X10 but I hadn't been on the forums and didn't read reviews so what did I know? the new bikes go to 11! And even though my jumps are more accurately measured in inches rather than feet, the thought of pulling a McDougal 9000 had me thinking it must be the bike holding me back!

So, I started surfing the internet and YouTube. Sure enough every rider on the "New Geo" was shredding gnar, getting sick air and raving about these revolutionary bikes. I was a neandrathal, basking in the bliss of ignorance! That was it I had to ditch the old bike and get with the program.

Enter the Rip 9 RDO. Did a demo in Utah, killer terrain, Ogden bike park, BST in the Wasatch (I live and ride 99% of time in Florida:)) rode a couple similar bikes, big Trail bikes like the Rip, Hightower, the Trek version and a couple others. All rode spectacular and handled some chunky sketchy high speed descents and climbed better than I expected but the Rip just felt better especially climbing and pedaling and the Orange color was so sick!

Anyway, sold my Jet and got the Rip. Even in Florida, the new geo was amazing handling weaving thru turns and more travel made the difficult sections of trail easier and bigger margin for error. With the Jet I had to pick line and with the Rip it didn't matter and way easier on my wrists, elbows and shoulders. Been in the game for over 30yrs and broke a lot of body parts so more travel was nice. Plush ride was nice.

But...

All these new bikes are heavy! Yes they pedal lighter than their weight but I started to notice on extended rides and just moving the bike around. Here in Florida especially summer, the heat is brutal and fatigue factor high as your heart rate at 90 degrees/90% humidity. When I mentioned my bros said "Oh yeah these new frames/suspension are a little heavy"

Also, pedal strikes! I hit so hard I've almost gone over bars just going straight and fast. Thought I could get used to it but after a year of riding it's only a little better. When I mentioned my bros said "Oh yeah these new bikes all pedal strike, but you get used to it."

So...

The Rip is awesome bike but way more bike than my Florida trails require. I'm looking for lighter 130-140mm front/120mmrear travel bike and the Jet 9 RDO might be better but the builds I've seen still looks almost as heavy. I don't race and I don't mind spending extra for light weight but I don't want to spend more than the GDP of a small country. I ride singletrack Florida trails that have challenging technical segments with lots of roots and average speed is 9-12mph. I do have a nice carbon wheelset that I can use on an 11speed boost bike.

I realize that I will never stick a McDougle 9000 so that requirement in a bike is not important....unless.... but maybe shorter chainstay, slacker head tube angle, 44m offset, ya that should do it!:skep: Demos in my area are few and far between as most LBS are road/gravel oriented.

Anyway, what suggestions do you you internet geniuses have that will get me pumped on new bike, score hot chicks and elevate my riding so sponsor ships start coming my way. Free Decals and keychain with beer opener would be living the dream :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
IBIS Ripley. Fast, fast and fast. Would be great for the FL trails because it is fast but good enough when you go out of state. You can pick up a LS frame right now at a discount.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I am a believer that all the new "Geometry Hype" is highly overrated. I have been comparing the new vs old geometry numbers for a while and all that was done is move the rider forward by about an inch, shorten a bit the chainstays and widen the handle bar to the point of being not usable on tight wooded single track, and steepening the HA so you apparently one can bomb decents and never fall. It is overhyped because the industry needs to sell more stuff and people who buy into it have to justify their purchase convincing themselves that 1 deg of HA change makes the bike sooo much better. There probably is an improvement but I bet it is not nearly as huge as claimed.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
widen the handle bar to the point of being not usable on tight wooded single track.
This is true! Most of the trails around here have many sections that are possible to ride with 780mm+ bar but you barely clear it.

Think new geometry has some benefits but like most things there is that trade off. Over aired up shock helps with pedal strike but I only end up using 50% travel.

Gotta check that Ibis Ripley. Didnt get a chance to demo that but heard some good reviews.

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
If you can find some 2018 Ripley LS's...they are still really good bikes. I picked one up for my GF about a month ago. After trying both the LS and V4...she picked the LS. I asked why she liked the LS more...she just said that it was more comfortable to pedal. IMO...if you don't have a bunch of long steep downhills...a sled length bike really isn't necessary.

Realistically...I don't think there are bad bikes in the 120mm segment. It'll be up to you on which particular geo you get along best with.

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
It doesn't matter how light a bike is, only how efficiently it turns potato chips into speed/elevation. The 30+ pound 29er(s - three of them) I demo'd were all slightly faster on a 45 minute test climb in the Wasatch that I'm familiar with than the 25-ish pound 27.5 I owned....which of course means it took less power to go the same speed or climb to the same elevation. So, I bought the 29er and lightened it up.
This is certainly a topic that has been explored ad nauseam. It may or may not work for you, your riding style or your trails. That's okay. No need to hurry, they'll just keep getting better.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Got my present bike (Niner Rip 9 RDO) back in 2017 when I was just riding a lot and not looking at internet posts or YouTube videos on latest trends. My riding buddies asked in disbelief how I could still be riding my outdated Jet 9 carbon XT 1X10, Stan's Arch (narrow?) alloy rims, bike weighing well under 25lbs with pedals and bottle cage. I said "What?" Comments like "Bro you won't believe the sick new geo bikes, long and slack, these bikes are faster than a speeding bullet and handle better than that dinosaur you are riding!" Gotta get with the program bro, you can stick the McDougal 9000 off the Big dipper jump!.

I mean I was happy riding my 24lb 120mm bike with 1X10 but I hadn't been on the forums and didn't read reviews so what did I know? the new bikes go to 11! And even though my jumps are more accurately measured in inches rather than feet, the thought of pulling a McDougal 9000 had me thinking it must be the bike holding me back!

So, I started surfing the internet and YouTube. Sure enough every rider on the "New Geo" was shredding gnar, getting sick air and raving about these revolutionary bikes. I was a neandrathal, basking in the bliss of ignorance! That was it I had to ditch the old bike and get with the program.

Enter the Rip 9 RDO. Did a demo in Utah, killer terrain, Ogden bike park, BST in the Wasatch (I live and ride 99% of time in Florida:)) rode a couple similar bikes, big Trail bikes like the Rip, Hightower, the Trek version and a couple others. All rode spectacular and handled some chunky sketchy high speed descents and climbed better than I expected but the Rip just felt better especially climbing and pedaling and the Orange color was so sick!

Anyway, sold my Jet and got the Rip. Even in Florida, the new geo was amazing handling weaving thru turns and more travel made the difficult sections of trail easier and bigger margin for error. With the Jet I had to pick line and with the Rip it didn't matter and way easier on my wrists, elbows and shoulders. Been in the game for over 30yrs and broke a lot of body parts so more travel was nice. Plush ride was nice.

But...

All these new bikes are heavy! Yes they pedal lighter than their weight but I started to notice on extended rides and just moving the bike around. Here in Florida especially summer, the heat is brutal and fatigue factor high as your heart rate at 90 degrees/90% humidity. When I mentioned my bros said "Oh yeah these new frames/suspension are a little heavy"

Also, pedal strikes! I hit so hard I've almost gone over bars just going straight and fast. Thought I could get used to it but after a year of riding it's only a little better. When I mentioned my bros said "Oh yeah these new bikes all pedal strike, but you get used to it."

So...

The Rip is awesome bike but way more bike than my Florida trails require. I'm looking for lighter 130-140mm front/120mmrear travel bike and the Jet 9 RDO might be better but the builds I've seen still looks almost as heavy. I don't race and I don't mind spending extra for light weight but I don't want to spend more than the GDP of a small country. I ride singletrack Florida trails that have challenging technical segments with lots of roots and average speed is 9-12mph. I do have a nice carbon wheelset that I can use on an 11speed boost bike.

I realize that I will never stick a McDougle 9000 so that requirement in a bike is not important....unless.... but maybe shorter chainstay, slacker head tube angle, 44m offset, ya that should do it!:skep: Demos in my area are few and far between as most LBS are road/gravel oriented.

Anyway, what suggestions do you you internet geniuses have that will get me pumped on new bike, score hot chicks and elevate my riding so sponsor ships start coming my way. Free Decals and keychain with beer opener would be living the dream :thumbsup:
Look for a used generation 1 Intense carbine 29 (MY 2014-2017 i think). 27 lbs with carbon wheels and lighter tires, 160 mm / 140 mm, 67 deg HTA, non-boost . If you can find one in good shape, I recommend. I was reading your post and it echoed everything I want in a bike. Been riding mine since 2013 and I don't give the new bikes a second look

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is certainly a topic that has been explored ad nauseam.
Yes, and probably will continue for as long as time itself. I remember the debate about full squish for XC back in the early 90's. Full suspension was reserved for full on down hill rigs and my Giant Cadex carbon hardtail ( and other hardtail bikes) 26 was the Go to XC rig. Why would anyone want full suspension for anything other than full down hill riding? You a sissy boy bro? Then Santa Cruz comes out with the aluminum Heckler and Trek carbon Y bike. Full squish for XC becomes an option but still considered overkill by most.

The topic of suspension/weight/performance is really what gear heads will never stop discussing and thanks to R&D and tech it changes faster than ever and bikes are better than ever. I remember when the biggest game changer was disc brakes, our children will probably be discussing how 5g was the game changer for "smart" suspension ?.

Anyway, back to discussing what we got now, I want fun, light, fast and threaded BB please!

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
Well...

I am a believer that all the new "Geometry Hype" is highly overrated. I have been comparing the new vs old geometry numbers for a while and all that was done is move the rider forward by about an inch, shorten a bit the chainstays and widen the handle bar to the point of being not usable on tight wooded single track, and steepening the HA so you apparently one can bomb decents and never fall. It is overhyped because the industry needs to sell more stuff and people who buy into it have to justify their purchase convincing themselves that 1 deg of HA change makes the bike sooo much better. There probably is an improvement but I bet it is not nearly as huge as claimed.
After building up and riding a Giant Trance 29 frame can't say I agree with all you said. Years back I was a bit of a holdout, but I've come along. About the only thing I don't agree with is the super steep STAs. Otherwise, longer reach and slacker HTAs are where it's at.

This bike I just built up is so ridiculously competent across the board. It light, super fast, but also very capable on steep stuff. The shorter travel out back makes it snappy and a great pedaler. Our trails are about as tight as they get. All chunk, with brutal climbs - a place where'd you would think a slack bike would do poorly, but it does not. This thing just rips. No joke.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
New Trance 29 looks very interesting. My first 29 was the first version of the Giant Anthem 29 aluminum, 2011 if I remember right. I was one of the first of my riding buddies to get a 29. I went from one of the guys to dropping everyone like a prom dress!

Within 6 months nobody was riding 26” wheels and I went back to being one of the guys!

Giant has made some legit bikes. My late 80’s Cadex hardtail was pretty amazing bike.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Central East coast. My local trail is Ft Pierce and Large is my size! Would love to take you up on that. 25lbs with dropper post is exactly what I’m looking for.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,767 Posts
This is true! Most of the trails around here have many sections that are possible to ride with 780mm+ bar but you barely clear it.
Would love to see videos of this. I'm not saying you need wider handlebars than 780 by any means, but I weave my bars in between trees on a few trails and come close on others, not to mention some places I go to on vacation that are tight and twisty at speed, like a return of the jedi speeder-scene type deal. Having ridden in some of these places where this is supposed to exist, I'm still trying to understand where you need real narrow bars, where the trails really are that close.

Anyway, I wouldn't overdo it, 120mm is a real sweet spot for a 29er. Even on the front end. Also don't let people convince you that you need some stupid slack HTA, that's one of the things that will make lightning fast tree-avoidance maneuvers harder and it's fun to have a nice fast, crisp handling bike you can throw into turns at high speed. I love DHing and I savor every second, but it's also tons of fun to ride an XC bike where you corner at speeds that you just can't match on the enduro bike, except all out downhill, and even then it's totally a totally different thing IME. Would also stay away from something like the Epic, which has the suspension-harshner brain device...

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Would love to see videos of this. I'm not saying you need wider handlebars than 780 by any means, but I weave my bars in between trees on a few trails and come close on others, not to mention some places I go to on vacation that are tight and twisty at speed, like a return of the jedi speeder-scene type deal. Having ridden in some of these places where this is supposed to exist, I'm still trying to understand where you need real narrow bars, where the trails really are that close.
Austin, Texas

Gnar gnar and twisty Juniper trees. 720 will clear almost everything. 700 you can go real fast and only bust pinkies from time to time. I wear armored gloves because it's so tight.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,767 Posts
Austin, Texas

Gnar gnar and twisty Juniper trees. 720 will clear almost everything. 700 you can go real fast and only bust pinkies from time to time. I wear armored gloves because it's so tight.

Oh yeah, I rode there a year back. I didn't have the wide (normal) bars on this particular bike yet, but was no problem at 740. Is it kind of like the exposure thing where people get more psyched-out than anything?

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.