Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some help to lighten my 9 yr olds son's Spec Hardrock. I'm thinking tires and tubes would be a good place to start as the stock tires are 870 grams. Any suggestions on a light tire and tube? I'm thinking at 75 lbs (my son), I could probably get away with something less durable than an adult rider needs. Don't want to spend a lot either.

·
some kind of hero...
543 Posts
michdad said:
Looking for some help to lighten my 9 yr olds son's Spec Hardrock. I'm thinking tires and tubes would be a good place to start as the stock tires are 870 grams. Any suggestions on a light tire and tube? I'm thinking at 75 lbs (my son), I could probably get away with something less durable than an adult rider needs. Don't want to spend a lot either.
Without knowing what kind of riding or your upper price limit...

1) IRC Mythos $25 for a pair of kevlar bead from Pricepoint - the narrow ones will be just over 500g each
2) IRC Mibro $40 for a pair (less on ebay) - a bit lighter than the Mythos
3) Maxxis Larsen TT kevlar $40 a pair - the 1.9 size is under 500g

All are great tires for a kid - the Larsens will be fastest, Mibro second, Mythos third. Best traction when the going gets loose, reverse the order.

Go ahead Dad... splurge :thumbsup:

Cheers
:cool:

Good luck

·
Registered
6,852 Posts
michdad said:
Are the wheels 26"?
If they are 24" the choices are limited...

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
fsrxc said:
Are the wheels 26"?
If they are 24" the choices are limited...
That sure is right. My son rides a 24" wheeled specialized. It came with some nice wire bead Specialized roll-x 24"X2.125" Nice tire but it looks much more like a 1.9" Outside of those stock tires I have never seen 24" tires to crow about. Never seen a 24" kevlar tire. Most 24" tires are for department store bikes and BMX cruisers.

If he rolls with 26" wheels, I second the Mythos Kevlars. On sale everywhere for 25.00 a pair. Decent tires, nice weight, OK traction. I found the front washed out a bit easy in the turns but the rear has very good traction even climbing on slipery mud. Anything kevlar will be a good weight savings for your bike dollar.

·
Registered
6,852 Posts
Maida7 said:
That sure is right. My son rides a 24" wheeled specialized. It came with some nice wire bead Specialized roll-x 24"X2.125" Nice tire but it looks much more like a 1.9" Outside of those stock tires I have never seen 24" tires to crow about. Never seen a 24" kevlar tire. Most 24" tires are for department store bikes and BMX cruisers.

If he rolls with 26" wheels, I second the Mythos Kevlars. On sale everywhere for 25.00 a pair. Decent tires, nice weight, OK traction. I found the front washed out a bit easy in the turns but the rear has very good traction even climbing on slipery mud. Anything kevlar will be a good weight savings for your bike dollar.
Does Specialized still make the Roller Pro RS 24x2.3? I have one that we used on the front of my nephew's 24" till he got a new bike - it has a kevlar bead, sticky tread, and mid-weight sidewalls, not bad for FR/DH (for a kid anyway).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.